Redesigned Classic Trek Enterprise

The Original Series
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

That thing is bloody huge for a ST shuttle, if this is a ship based shuttle than I think we can expect a somewhat larger Enterprise than we're used to.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...I'm still a bit worried about what they might do to the Connie, though.
Agreed. It's the most famous and beloved of the 'Trek fleet. I hope they don't do anything drastic with it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Kendall wrote:That thing is bloody huge for a ST shuttle, if this is a ship based shuttle than I think we can expect a somewhat larger Enterprise than we're used to.
Well, maybe it'll stay the same size and just have one or two of them.
Tsu wrote:Agreed. It's the most famous and beloved of the 'Trek fleet. I hope they don't do anything drastic with it.
The Connie's my favourite ship in Trek, the only thing that comes close is the Miranda. I will not be happy if they screw the Enterprise up.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote: Agreed. It's the most famous and beloved of the 'Trek fleet. I hope they don't do anything drastic with it.
If it's not recognisable as the Connie than they may as well just abandon the Trek title and call it something else. Classic Kirk, Spock, Bones and the Connie are the most familar part of TOS and we're only getting one of those for this movie.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

? I'm sorry. I don't follow. Which of the four are you referring to?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
Well, maybe it'll stay the same size and just have one or two of them.
It's got to be twice the width of the classic TOS shuttle though, I'd rather not have the Big E with a bubble butt.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:? I'm sorry. I don't follow. Which of the four are you referring to?
The Connie, it's the only thing people will instantly recognise as Trek with this movie seeing as Shatner and Nimoy either aren't involved or don't look like they did in TOS, and Kelley is dead.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Ah. I was a little thrown off, as Nimoy is in the film. I'm still wondering what the hell they're going to do with that.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Ah. I was a little thrown off, as Nimoy is in the film. I'm still wondering what the hell they're going to do with that.
Time travel if their retards, flashbacks if their switched on. Personally I think it's a cheap gimmick to get the part of the fanbase that ditched Trek after VOY and ENT.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:That thing is bloody huge for a ST shuttle, if this is a ship based shuttle than I think we can expect a somewhat larger Enterprise than we're used to.
Hard to scale, because we don't really see what those building struts are connected to. If the winglets are similar to the ENT ones, it looks right in line with the TOS type.

As far as the Connie... if it had to be changed, it should be announced as a precursor model, and let us all keep the TOS Connie as we know and love her.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
Hard to scale, because we don't really see what those building struts are connected to. If the winglets are similar to the ENT ones, it looks right in line with the TOS type.
Look at the hatch, you would expect it to be around the size of a regular door. Eight to ten feet high.
As far as the Connie... if it had to be changed, it should be announced as a precursor model, and let us all keep the TOS Connie as we know and love her.
Agreed. For the record I am talking about drastic change, like turning it into a D-57 or Flash Gordon rocket.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm... you're right about the hatch, unless it's very narrow. As far as the Connie, I'm NOT talking about drastic changes only - I'm talking about any changes which can't be readily attributed to being an earlier mark.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Josiah Thompson
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Redesigned Classic Trek Enterprise

Post by Josiah Thompson »

That reimagined version of the Enterprise... I think I saw it in the Ships of the Line calender. Looks nice, but the bussard collectors/ramscoops are too big.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Re: Redesigned Classic Trek Enterprise

Post by thelordharry »

Fun to look at (very nice art!) and imagine but the way I see it, the 60's Constitution Class Enterprise came first, regardless of how 'out of date' in RL or basic the design may look in 2008 (although you can happily argue against that too). Everything else should be designed and conceptualised around the original, not the other way around. I really hope the XI - 1701 is as close to the TOS or DS9 Trials and Tribbleations as possible.

Ahhh, what do I know. They're about to reboot that whole franchise anyway so what difference does it make? :shock:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”