Redesigned Classic Trek Enterprise

The Original Series
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Redesigned Classic Trek Enterprise

Post by Tiberius »

A bit of random surfing lead me to this image of the 1701. Interesting take on the Constitution design, but not sure right now if I am a fan. Definitely shows a lineage from the NX class though....

http://www.startrekreborn.net/images/en ... t_1080.jpg
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Yes it does... it's an interesting thought. Some of the ideas are good, I have to say. A lot of the stuff that amounts to greebling to spice up that poor 60s low-budget hull is good.

Some bits look a little too close to the NX-01 for that many years of separation, though. The nacelles are too big in diameter, and that bulge before the bussards is particularly bad. The thickened nacelle struts, while perhaps making good structural sense, are clunky and make the ship look too primitive. The entire nacelle structure feels primitive, in fact.

I like the shape of the Engineering hull, though. And it's a nice elaboration on the deflector dish. That bridge module looks a little too refit-enterprise to fit, also.

Overall, it might grow on me if it were being used in something, but I like the original as depicted in the new special effects better.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

The smooth white hull never appealed to me. I like this one a lot better.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I agree with Jordanis. While the lineage is more apparent, some of the design features - that "spine" sweeping smoothly from the engineering hull up the neck, for example - don't really show enough separation.

And as a pet peeve, why should the TOS-era ship be retconned when ENT was the one that screwed up?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Is there any indication that the Enterprise will be made to look different in the new movie?

Also, while I usually find fansites such as the one you got the image from to be completely annoying, the uniforms show an interesting transition between Enterprise era and Star Trek II unis.

http://www.startrekreborn.net/viewpage.php?page_id=46
Last edited by Bryan Moore on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

G-d only knows.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*sigh* It probably will be made to look different.
Continuity screwups ahoy!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:I agree with Jordanis. While the lineage is more apparent, some of the design features - that "spine" sweeping smoothly from the engineering hull up the neck, for example - don't really show enough separation.

And as a pet peeve, why should the TOS-era ship be retconned when ENT was the one that screwed up?
ENT didn't really screw up, though.

Very lovely art, there.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Then why are people being made to reimagine a design that's been around in RL for 42 years?

*sighs* I'm sorry, we've had this discussion plenty of times. Neither of us will convince the other about the Akiraprise, and it's probably fruitless to bring it up again. It just torques me off! :madashell:
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:
Then why are people being made to reimagine a design that's been around in RL for 42 years?

*sighs* I'm sorry, we've had this discussion plenty of times. Neither of us will convince the other about the Akiraprise, and it's probably fruitless to bring it up again. It just torques me off! :madashell:
I do not understand the argument...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Basicaly, RK_Striker_JK_5 doesn't see the problems with the Akiraprise's design with regards to continuity and design evolution. Mikey, myself, and a couple others have debated with him on this point multiple times.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Rochey wrote:Basicaly, RK_Striker_JK_5 doesn't see the problems with the Akiraprise's design with regards to continuity and design evolution. Mikey, myself, and a couple others have debated with him on this point multiple times.
Can you direct me to one of the discussions? I would love to see people's opinions on it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

viewtopic.php?t=391

That's the very first debate we had. The thread was completely devoted to the NX.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i love the smooth lines of the TOS era Enterprise, reminds me of an aircraft carrier,allbeit superficially, is sleek yet subtley menacing to me
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Rochey wrote:viewtopic.php?t=391

That's the very first debate we had. The thread was completely devoted to the NX.
I do not want to start the debate again or anything, but I do not see what the big hate-on for it not fitting is. The NX was a saucer with the nacells coming off the back... I think it is a solid predesign leading to the Miranda. The Constitution is a good combination of the NX and the Daedalus.

I actually find the Daedalus to be quite goofy and unrealistic design. If anything, that design should be considered the ugly step-child... the evolutionary dead end.