God Damnit, Travis!

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

God Damnit, Travis!

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, Karen Travis is back with yet another book. This one is written during the Legacy of the Force series, and is called Revalation. I've completely stopped buying these books, and particularly have no interest in reading more of Travis' idiocy. However, after hearing about this book on another site, I went looking around and found the following info from the book:
*spoilers, not that anyone probably cares*

Gilad Pellaeon gets shot in the back and killed by Tahiri Veila, our Jedi/Vong girl.
Admiral Daala appears, steals his corpse, takes command of the fleet, and runs off with the god damn Mandalorians!

No, I damn well am not joking about this. :evil:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I first heard about Ms Traviss here on the DITL forums; I looked her up on Wiki and Wookiepedia where there was a section on the controversies surrounding her work. A couple of days ago, after reading a reference to her, I popped back for a refresher, and there was no mention of them! On Wookiepedia there where links to "Talifan" and "Fandorlorian"; The latter was described as a fan of KT, and the former as a critic of her work, the word been coined by KT herself.
Looks like a "Fandorlorian", or KT herself, performed a little Wiki wash and brush up.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That bloody woman needs all writing implements and her computer confiscated - she seems to be going out of her way to outdo her previous dross with each successive book.

When people complained about the GttGAR she brought out Odds.

When people complained about Odds she killed off Mara Jade abysmally.

Now, when people have been complaining about the manner of Mara Jade's death she kills off Pelly for no apparent reason and brings back Corporal Incompetent.

KJA's starting to look like a talent to rival Shakespeare.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ya know what? Screw this, I'm officially boycotting any SW EU book that isn't written by Timothy Zahn or Stackpole. Untill the guys at Lucas Licensing get their heads out of their collective asses, they ain't getting any more money from me.

Enkidu; you really have no idea of how bad this woman is.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Ya know what? Screw this, I'm officially boycotting any SW EU book that isn't written by Timothy Zahn or Stackpole. Untill the guys at Lucas Licensing get their heads out of their collective asses, they ain't getting any more money from me.
It's a pity that Traviss' involvement has wrecked any chance the Legacy novels might have had - Allston and Denning are two of the better EU writers.

Luceno and Stover are also highly spoken off - I've read and liked the former's "Labyrinth of Evil", and I've heard nothing but praise from the latter's RotS novelisation - indeed it's apparently somewhat better than the film.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:Ya know what? Screw this, I'm officially boycotting any SW EU book that isn't written by Timothy Zahn or Stackpole. Untill the guys at Lucas Licensing get their heads out of their collective asses, they ain't getting any more money from me.

Enkidu; you really have no idea of how bad this woman is.
Welcome to my world...

SW's been going down the friggin' toilet since 1999 and the NJO. Rochey, the books have sucked worse than a black hole.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I know they sucked. I gave up on buying any post-ROTJ books after I read the first couple of NJO books.
I gave up on the prequal books after Travis started screwing things up royaly.

I had kept the hope of it possibly going back up in quality, but now I've given up completely. I really hope Lucas contradicts every second word in the EU when he makes the TV series.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mentioning 3 million strong field armies would be a good start, as would a passing reference to incompetent journalists with no concept of scale.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The only way I'd buy a post-ROTJ book now is if they retconned the trilogy of suck (NJO, DNT and LOTF) into a bad dream that YJK-real Jacen had and issued a public apology for publishing this utter crap for the past nine years.

Otherwise, the boycott continues!
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

She killed off Mara Jade!?! Are you friggin' kidding me?! Whisky Tango Foxtrot?! I wasn't really sure just how bad this Travis was until now. You don't just kill off a major character for no reason. Wasn't she married to Luke Skywalker?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

She was - from what I've heard, not having read any of the books myself, Jacen went Dark Side, Mara tracked him down to try and kill him, and beat the stuffing out of him. Jacen used some Force trick to project Ben Skywalker's face over his own, and used the distraction to stab a poisoned syringe into her.

Personally, I've been somewhat anti-Traviss since I heard of her reaction to people complaining about her 3-million-strong "Grand" Army. Specifically "my gut reaction is that they all need garroting" and "ripping someones trachea out of their pitiful unworthy neck".
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

mwhittington wrote:She killed off Mara Jade!?! Are you friggin' kidding me?! Whisky Tango Foxtrot?! I wasn't really sure just how bad this Travis was until now. You don't just kill off a major character for no reason. Wasn't she married to Luke Skywalker?
Married and the two had a son, Ben.

Killed by Jacen Solo... her nephew, as he turned Sith.

There's all kinds of wrong with what I just typed there...

Can no one in SW have an-I don't know-a happy friggin' ending?????
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Oh, well of course he would turn Sith in her books, wouldn't he!? And 3 million strong GRAND army? Uh, simple logic and common sense would tell you it's a lot more than that. Maybe she's a vegan. :mrgreen:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Common sense doesn't exist in SW anymore, sadly. :(
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Common sense doesn't exist in SW anymore, sadly. :(
Once KJA got involved we may as well have burned the EU down.