replacing old computer parts

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

replacing old computer parts

Post by stitch626 »

I'm planning on getting a new CPU fan/heat sink as my stock one is starting to die. However, I have no idea how to know if what I buy will be able to connect to my Mobo. Anyone able to offer insight on this?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: replacing old computer parts

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

What CPU do you have? If it's a Core 2 duo, socket 775 heatsinks should still be easy enough to find. Some third party heatsinks come with adapter sets to fit multiple Intel or AMD socket types. The great e-store Newegg.com is very easily searchable by the appropriate technical categories, so you can browse heatsinks and search by socket.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

If the motherboard is old enough you will probably end up having to replace it, the memory and the CPU, either that or just buy an exact replacement for the part that's failing.
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

IanKennedy wrote:If the motherboard is old enough you will probably end up having to replace it, the memory and the CPU, either that or just buy an exact replacement for the part that's failing.
If it is that old (P4 era) the heatsink might be floating around on ebay, though I wouldn't expect a long life from a used heatsink/fan.

If you can, it might be prudent to re-apply thermal paste at the same time you replace the heatsink. WIpe off the old compound with a cloth and apply a small dot in the middle of the CPU; pressure will spread it once the heatsink is replaced.

Here's a different thought, though: can the fan itself be removed from the heatsink? In that case, the fan should be a fairly simple replacement.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ok... I'm going to post my MB and processor... just to make things easier.

MB: ASUS P5QL-VM DO
Processor: Pentium Duel-Core E5300
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

stitch626 wrote:Ok... I'm going to post my MB and processor... just to make things easier.

MB: ASUS P5QL-VM DO
Processor: Pentium Duel-Core E5300
Yep, that's a socket 775 like I'd guessed. Any of these should work as a drop-in replacement (all mobos of a given socket have the same fan mounting holes, except certain OEM-specific boards -the proprietary Dell or whatevers)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... =LGA%20775

:)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Cool thanks. Link was good too. Now I just need to pick one.

And yeah I will be redoing the thermal paste, just for good measure.