Hand to hand

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Hand to hand

Post by Nickswitz »

Does anyone think they would want to do this, you choose a person, they get like a card made for them, based on a consensus that is come to, and then have 2 of them fight, like the space battles, but on the ground... Someone would have to make the ground layout, I could do it if someone wanted me to... Just thought this could be a fun thing, much like the space battles.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Hand to hand

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, I guess I could adapt the rules of GW's Pit Fighter game and run from there. I'll have a look into how easy it'd be to adapt the system to an online form, then get back to you later.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Sure, I was thinking like hand to hand, or phaser fights, depending on terrain and who people choose. Like if we have starfleet vs other starfleet, we would have rocky terrain, with hiding spots(rocks)... etc.
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

After checking it out, Pit Fighter wouldn't really be all that aplicable.

Still, should be easy enough to make up rules for. Here's some basics I grabbed off the top of my head:

Basics:
Turn based.
Dice based.
Turn split into movement and action phases.
Characters have stats based on Close Combat Skill, Weapons Skill, Strength, Toughness, Reactions, Perception, and Wounds.

Movement Phase:
Characters can move in one of several ways: creeping, walking, running, sprinting.
Each movement type decides how far you can go in a turn.
Type of movement may limit other options you may take.
Can crouch or lie prone to assist in aiming weapons/hiding.

Action Phase:
May shoot at enemy or attack in close combat.
Type of movement chosen and stance can add penalties/bonuses to firing or charging into combat.
Different weapons deliver cause different amount of wounds.
Wounds can cause harm to a character's abilities (something similar to the Inquisitor crit hit table).
Armour or other protective clothing or cover can reduce wounds taken.

Thoughts? That's just a rough idea for now. If you'd like, I could try expanding it into an actual rule set.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That's basically what I was thinking, and whoever the moderator was would have to make the map based on who was playing, what characters they area t least...

These are some ideas I had
Each person (group) starts out in a bunker, and then they have to move forward to shoot, or they can shoot from the bunker if they really want to, and the weapons damage will have +- modifiers based on the weapon/distance/power setting, etc.

In hand to hand battles rather than phaser vs phaser, would be a little bit harder, but here's basically some things I figure we could do...
Each person has thier weapons that they could use, each on would have a set of moves they could do with it, and then if it got knocked away they could use another or dodge, and hope they don't get hit. The hardest part would be that the moderator would have to decide what an impact between the weapons... Such as if one person swipes up and the other lunges forward and they both get similar rolls they may hit, or they may both miss, but impact for that would be largely based on the other persons rolls...
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm bored right now, and have nothing better to do. So I'm going to work out a starting rule set and see what you think. Currently it's a bastardised hybrid of Pit Fighter, Inquisitor and stuff I'm making up as I'm going along. I'll post it later tonight, and see what you think.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, I'll check it out once you get it up, and give any suggestions I have...
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Cool.

And holy shit is this ever complicated. I thought this would be easy enough, but I'm having to figure out rules for different movement types, stances, the bonuses/penalties associated with crouching or being prone, whether characters can see each other, whether they even know the other character's there at all, different types of terrain, jumping or climbing over obstacles, etc, etc, etc.

And I'm still only on the Movement Phase. God help me for when I get to the combat phase.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Haha, the combat is actually easier, oh, how big do we want a playing field to be?
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Depends on the environment. If the situation is a bar, fight, not too big. If it's in an open field then you'll need a fair distance.

And yeah, combat's not too bad.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, so, say for an open environment firefight, what would the dimensions be?
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No idea. I was thinking our first test match could be a small environment. Like a bar-fight perhaps.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Good idea, that would be hand to hand rather than phaser, I'll start setting up the map if you would like. Are you going to set up any rules for obstacles, like hitting over a chair, or barstool, or rock?
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, there'll be rules.

And I already have a map drawn up, with an array of possible weapons for our drunken thugs to fight it out with to test out the rules, so I've saved you the bother yet again. :P
We just need two people to play. How about yourself and someone else?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Once this is worked out, It'll be a fun way to settle forum disputes. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939