Klingon possession of the Narada

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Klingon possession of the Narada

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Following the writer's indications that the crew of the Narada were meant to be held in prison for most of those 25 years, and the fact that once Nero retook the Narada he was able to destroy 47 Klingon warships, we are left to wonder why the Klingons weren't able to capitalize on their prize. Could it just be that the Klingons couldn't understand this advanced tech? Is it also possible that the arms race between them and the UFP that seems to have occurred (as mentioned in another post) forced the Klingons into developing as much existing tech as they could, compounding their technical issues?

Also, can we say that Nero must have recaptured the Narada with some time to spare before he wiped out the Klingon fleet in order to effect repairs sufficient to make her the beast she was in STXI - she went from a ship that was captured by the Klingons after the Kelvin rammed her to a ship that blew up significantly more advanced fleets with ease, after all. For that matter, could the Narada's state of damage have compounded the Klingons' problems further? Maybe they simply shuffled her aside to focus on their cold war in the end?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Klingon possession of the Narada

Post by Nickswitz »

Um... maybe they couldn't read Romulan... :wink:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Just throwing this out there, but maybe Nero was able to hide the Narada somewhere before getting captured?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I think they might have noticed a 30 KM vessel floating around, I doubt it could hide anywhere when they were caught.
The world ended

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Nickswitz wrote:I think they might have noticed a 30 KM vessel floating around, I doubt it could hide anywhere when they were caught.
Space is big, something 30km long is tiny. If it's gone cold and not emitting anything I doubt it'd be hard to hide. Stuff it in an asteroid belt, close orbit around a moon or gas giant. Heck, with ST SIF being what they are just land it on some rock and leave.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Eh, true, but I really just think they couldn't read Romulan... just saying, it makes sense to me...
The world ended

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I think they could find a translator somewhere, for something like the Narada.

I was under the impression when I heard that Nero had been captured that he'd been taken with his ship - not that he'd abandoned it! But that does very neatly avoid all these other questions. :)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by dagadget »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I think they could find a translator somewhere, for something like the Narada.

I was under the impression when I heard that Nero had been captured that he'd been taken with his ship - not that he'd abandoned it! But that does very neatly avoid all these other questions. :)

After the Kelvin had rammed the Narada and crippled it perhaps it was so badly damaged that only someone from the future time period cound know how to fix it. Sort of like an 18th century man trying to fix a modern Main Battle tank they just can't do it.... Klingon's are warriors primarily and not generally scientists........
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

dagadget wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I think they could find a translator somewhere, for something like the Narada.

After the Kelvin had rammed the Narada and crippled it perhaps it was so badly damaged that only someone from the future time period cound know how to fix it. Sort of like an 18th century man trying to fix a modern Main Battle tank they just can't do it.... Klingon's are warriors primarily and not generally scientists........
At that time they might have been more scientific. In ENT we see the shift to the warrior culture from a more diverse one. Also its not quite as big of a leap. It'd be more like someone in a 1918 Tank learning how an Abram drives. A big leap yes, but not impossible.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well, if it was borgified, wouldn't the Borg tech repair any damage automatically? Just sayin'...;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:Well, if it was borgified, wouldn't the Borg tech repair any damage automatically? Just sayin'...;)
Can't repair a black hole appearing inside your ship, dude. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Well, if it was borgified, wouldn't the Borg tech repair any damage automatically? Just sayin'...;)
Can't repair a black hole appearing inside your ship, dude. :lol:
Oops! My unspecificity strikes again! Just noticed I said 'any.' :oops:

Shouldn't have said that, I meant the Kelvin strike, battle damage, etc.

Yeah, obviously not black holes. :lol:
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Weren't the Romulans very unknown at this time?
The world ended

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The Romulans were secretive, but had been there for some time. Also (at least in the original timeline), we have speculative evidence of tech transfer between the two powers.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Even a Death Star would be insanely easy to hide in the depths of space. Thing is, most people only travel to certain parts of space. Stars, planets, nebulae, etc. Stick the Narada out in the middle of empty space and no one will ever find it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"