Concerning Delta Badges

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Concerning Delta Badges

Post by Monroe »

Someone in a different thread suggested that maybe the delta badges of the Kelvin were the first to use them and after the ship was destroyed that passed to the Enterprise.

But what if only ships that had performed well in the past get a unique badge? Sure that kind of creates a problem cause hadn't the Enterprise nil performed well? But what if they just hadn't earned their badge by then? You know how things get stuck in bureaucratic nonsense. Or by the time Enterprise Nil could have earned their own the program was being phased out? All those ships might have been older and earned their custom badges before the Enterprise's.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Concerning Delta Badges

Post by IanKennedy »

Monroe wrote:Someone in a different thread suggested that maybe the delta badges of the Kelvin were the first to use them and after the ship was destroyed that passed to the Enterprise.
That was me... but it was only to explain a possibility of why the the crew of the Kelvin had that badge.
But what if only ships that had performed well in the past get a unique badge? Sure that kind of creates a problem cause hadn't the Enterprise nil performed well? But what if they just hadn't earned their badge by then? You know how things get stuck in bureaucratic nonsense. Or by the time Enterprise Nil could have earned their own the program was being phased out? All those ships might have been older and earned their custom badges before the Enterprise's.
Hmmm.... I'm not sure that works. Just about every ship in Star Fleet during TOS had a different badge, we see quite a few in Court Martial. I kinda prefer the idea that it was simply the Kelvins badge at the time and because of Kirk (snr) sacrifice it became the 'standard' badge.

Talking of badges I did notice that they had department logos in the centre of them.
email, ergo spam
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

IanKennedy wrote:...Talking of badges I did notice that they had department logos in the centre of them.
So did I. Nice touch, there. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Dang, another thing I missed.

Well, I hope they have an awesome special edition, like LOTR or Narnia.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

What if that badge denotes what the ship is assigned too? Such as the Delta representing Deep Space Galaxy Exploration, or even the location from which the ship was commissioned? Many different possibilities. I'm speaking for the remake of course. The original idea of each ship having it's own insignia makes the MOST sense.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.