Dominion ship building

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Dominion ship building

Post by Teaos »

This just occured to me while reading a post in the Daystrom RP.

Who builds Dominion ships? Jem'hadar? Slave races? Another unknown clone species?

The first seems the most likely although the third would make the most sense.

There are a lot of Jem'Hadar sitting around doing nothing while not in battle, may as well have them do something.

But on the other hand they would seem to have a lot fo slave races under their sway, a useful resource, although slaves usually dont make the best workers.

Ideally you'd want another slave race specifically breed to be engineers, shame we never saw them though...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Dominion ship building

Post by Coalition »

Why use another slave race? Use a variant of Jem'hadar, designed to be fast-growing, and with basic technical skills implanted into their DNA. Send over a single transport with a full load of those Jem-gineers, and the Dominion shipyards in Cardassian space can get very productive.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But why just use a varient if you can use a whole knew, fully customisable species.

It would seem the facilities can make all clone types so if your going to make a different varient you may as well just make a whole new species.

Jem'hadar dont seem like they would make great engineers to me. Big an cumbersome designed for combat. Hell Vorta would make better ones.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree with Teaos. The most logical choice would be a race of clones designed to be engineers and/or laborers.

Well, for the labor I guess they could use any of their subject races.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Why couldn't they just use the Vorta?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I suppose they could, but I don't think Vorta ever showed any particular engineering skill. If you can create a tailor-made race for a specific task, why not use it?
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

A tailor made race would certainly fit the founders style, they seem to enjoy reshaping "solids" to fit their needs, and when they do one of these reshapes, they make the race very specific to the job at hand.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:I suppose they could, but I don't think Vorta ever showed any particular engineering skill. If you can create a tailor-made race for a specific task, why not use it?
Different Vorta were shown to have different skill sets. From being spies to be combat leaders to being diplomats. Since Dominion ship building is based on numbers, skill isn't the highest need.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

All true - but creating a specialized race doesn't seem to be much of a big deal for the Dominion. I can't see why they wouldn't use an engineered race of engineers.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, creating a race is most likely a costly thing. Giving a different skill set to a race you already have is a lot simpler and more easily controlled.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Since the "give skill sets" by genetic engineering," chances are that re-designing the Vorta wouldn't be much different in cost as engineering a pre-existing race that's already mechanically inclined.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd go with a seperate race completely, personaly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:Since the "give skill sets" by genetic engineering," chances are that re-designing the Vorta wouldn't be much different in cost as engineering a pre-existing race that's already mechanically inclined.
How do you figure? They've already shown they have Vorta for any number of things? Why build something new when you already have something to fill that role?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Because they don't have something already to fill that role. When have we seen a Vorta at work on starship design or construction logistics? They'd have to re-engineer the Vorta to excel at such tasks, or create a new clone race to do so. I doubt there would be much difference in effort.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:Because they don't have something already to fill that role. When have we seen a Vorta at work on starship design or construction logistics? They'd have to re-engineer the Vorta to excel at such tasks, or create a new clone race to do so. I doubt there would be much difference in effort.
There was a Vorta running the shipyards that Dumar and Kira stole the Bug from with the EDW. Taking the remarks of Martok from earlier on, I'm guessing they were doing a good job.