Star Wars Ion Weapons

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Star Wars Ion Weapons

Post by stitch626 »

Ions are just charged partticles. So is this another example of stupid miss-science?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Star Wars Ion Weapons

Post by Sonic Glitch »

stitch626 wrote:Ions are just charged partticles. So is this another example of stupid miss-science?
I always assumed that the ion cannons were used to knock out/disable the electrical systesm on the ships, I figure sending a mass of charged particles at a different charged surface would mess with things. They seem to be more like EMP weapons than actual explosive damage weapons.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the idea is that the charged particles overload electrical systems. No idea if it's plausable, it's probably just yet another case of a weapon in SW being named for something completely unrelated.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

From everything I've read, that IS the idea - that a mess of charged particles would screw with electrical systems; e.g., the Jawa rifle used to deactivate R2 in ANH. SW has a long history of conveniently ignoring the bits of science that inconveniently mess with the coolness of an idea. In this case, that would be a) the fact that the particles would simply disperse once fired; and, b) something as technologically awesome as a droid or a FTL-capable starship not being completely shielded from such things as a matter of course.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:b) something as technologically awesome as a droid or a FTL-capable starship not being completely shielded from such things as a matter of course.
No such thing as completely shielded - it's simply a matter of hitting the target hard enough.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Poor choice of words on my part - I should have said, "Technologically immune to something as mundane as a stream of ions."
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Same thing - technology is is only relevent insofar as it allows greater force to be applied, or more efficiently. Throw enough of anything at any vehicle and you will destroy it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Understood - what I'm saying is that these things, to my mind, should be at the point where destruction would come before being able to disable the internal electrical systems by hitting them with an arc.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

stitch626 wrote:Ions are just charged partticles. So is this another example of stupid miss-science?
I'm going with a similiar explanation as for the turbolasers; hold over term from a time when they actually did use lasers or a magic-ion shooter.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I thought the "laser" in "turbolaser" referred to the method of charging the tibanna gas?
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

To be honest, we really don't know where the laser bit came from. I like the explaination that they used to use laser-based weapons, and just kept the name as they moved on. We do the same in real-life all the time.
The only thing we really know about them is that they (or at least the damaging portion of them) clearly aren't actual lasers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ion cannons are basically focused EMPs, it seemed. Stun for capital ships.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I thought the "laser" in "turbolaser" referred to the method of charging the tibanna gas?
As Rochey says, we don't actually know much about there workings. I think Dr. Saxton has an explanation or two up on his site but it's been a while since I read it.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well Ion weapons were invented 4000 BBY to fight the droids in their great uprising. And we know it uses charged ions to short circuit things. And we know that in high amounts it can kill people by screwing up the nervous system. So maybe its just an ion of a substance that technology doesn't cope well against.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Has anyone seen the ion cannon that was on the new Animated series?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.