Whoa! The Federation IS a democracy!

Deep Space Nine
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whoa! The Federation IS a democracy!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've long complained that we get virtually no word in all of Trek about how the government functions, right down to not even knowing if the Federation is a democracy or not. Well, I was just watching Paradise Lost, and came across this little gem :

Sisko : "Do you think other Federation worlds are going to sit back and let their President be replaced by a military dictatorship?"
Leyton : "Hardly a dictatorship Ben."
Sisko : "Overthrowing a legitemately elected president and giving Starfleet direct control over the government?! It sounds like a dictatorship to me! And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Whoa! The Federation IS a democracy!

Post by Deepcrush »

Well I'd like to know who does the voting.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Me too. It's far from claiming that the Federation is like the present day US or whatever, but at least we know the President doesn't ascend to the office through his knife fighting skills like in the Klingon Empire! :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:laughroll:

If it were the US he'd have to bribe his way. Not much of an improvement.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well that could mean the people vote for a president. Or the rulers of each world vote. Or each membership block.

There are many ways that could be interperated.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, or he may be elected from the members of the senate (the UFP has one of those, right?).
Still, nice to know the UFP's head gets elected in some way.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Good point, Rochey - it could (and probably would, for accounting purposes) be more of a republic than a democracy.

However, TOS: "Amok Time" et. al. still indicate that some planets a/o seats in Federation government have non-democratic selection processes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You mean with What's-Her-Name being offered a seat on the council? Yeah, it seems that way.
Here's an interesting thought: What if the council, that is not elected but appointed, elects the president from one of their own members?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That certainly could be an interpretation which fits with the quote Graham found, which would make the UFP president more like a tribune. At the point, the selection method of individual council members becomes a bit more important. I'd guess that each council member world would have its own process rooted in its own culture, but I suppose it's possible that the UFP specifies a process.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:You mean with What's-Her-Name being offered a seat on the council? Yeah, it seems that way.[/i]

Then again "offered a seat" could mean she was nominated for election and then refused the nomination.

Here's an interesting thought: What if the council, that is not elected but appointed, elects the president from one of their own members?

I would suspect that each planet gets an allotment of council seats, probably based on population but with a minimum per planet. I would guess that each planet appoints their council members pretty much however they like. So on Vulcan they are perhaps appointed, on Earth elected (guessing), on the Bugomite homeworld it's whoever bites one of the Queen's heads off or whatever.

The council then elects the President.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that seems reasonable.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Certainly does sound reasonable. However, with the UFP's pervasive, self-righteous attitude, it is just as reasonable that they mandate how member worlds choose their representatives.
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Sounds more like the EU than the US to me, the president is taken from each of the members on a rotating basis for a set term and each individual world/ state elects its leader to become part of the overall decision making. Ideally.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One line which has some slight bearing on this comes from "Attached". Riker says the following :

RIKER : They will listen to the report of the Enterprise Captain and his First Officer. And I can tell you right now that the First Officer's report will go something like this... 'Kesprytt is a deeply troubled world with social, political, and military problems that it has yet to resolve. The Kes, although a friendly and democratic people, are driven by suspicion, deviousness, and paranoia. In the opinion of this officer, they are not ready for membership.'"

Whilst it's far from conclusive of anything, really, he does cite the Kes being a democratic people as a positive factor in their chances of Federation membership. I don't think it's a stretch to conclude that the Federation as a whole at least regards democracy in a positive light.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

To tell you the truth, I always saw the Federation with a Republic government.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.