Choose your side

Voyager
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Choose your side

Post by Mark »

Remember the episode where Chakotay leads the Maquis rebellion on Voyager, and it turns out to be a holo-novel?
Let's now assume that it wasn't, and YOU were that Ensign he was talking with. What would you do? Stay loyal to Janeway? Join the rebellion? Try to take over yourself? The choices are limitless. Tell us, what would you have done, and what your reasons are.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Choose your side

Post by KuvahMagh »

Remember the episode where Chakotay leads the Maquis rebellion on Voyager, and it turns out to be a holo-novel?
It was actually a Tactical Similation created by Tuvok to explore the Security threats inherent to have a Macquis/Starfleet crew rather than a Holo Novel...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd stay neutral at the start, then eventualy try to work my way up through the ranks of whichever side looks like it's going to win, hopefully securing me a more comfortable position than whatever one I already have.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Honestly, I'll help whoever promises to put me off at the port of my choice in exchange. Either way I'm stuck on a ship of assclowns for 70 years, the Maquis members are slightly easier to stomach (after all I can apperently beat the crap out of whoever disagrees with me) but that's not enough for me to stay. Chances are that Torres or Souter are going to get worse with Chakotey running things thanks to the power of nepotism.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not to mention Mr Guerrila Leader's brilliant tactic of "issue 50 warnings while they shoot at me before actual returning fire". :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I would shoot and kill Chakotay to prove my loyalty to Janeway, thus putting myself in the inner circle. Then when the time was right, have Tuvok die in an "accident". A few weeks later Janeway would also die accidentally.

With the three dead, I would execute or maroon the remaining Maquis because they are too great a threat after what I did to Chakotay. I would then lead my loyal crew back to the Alpha Quadrant in the quickest manner possible. I might have to kill one or two others to maintain order, but that is a small price to pay to maintain discipline.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

katefan wrote:I would shoot and kill Chakotay to prove my loyalty to Janeway, thus putting myself in the inner circle. Then when the time was right, have Tuvok die in an "accident". A few weeks later Janeway would also die accidentally.

With the three dead, I would execute or maroon the remaining Maquis because they are too great a threat after what I did to Chakotay. I would then lead my loyal crew back to the Alpha Quadrant in the quickest manner possible. I might have to kill one or two others to maintain order, but that is a small price to pay to maintain discipline.
Congrats, you now no longer have enough crew to run the ship and make it home. The Maquis being required to help run the ship was somewhat the point of the pilot.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

katefan wrote:I would shoot and kill Chakotay to prove my loyalty to Janeway, thus putting myself in the inner circle. Then when the time was right, have Tuvok die in an "accident". A few weeks later Janeway would also die accidentally.

Taking a page from the Terran Starfleet Operations Manual? :-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Cpl Kendall wrote:

Congrats, you now no longer have enough crew to run the ship and make it home. The Maquis being required to help run the ship was somewhat the point of the pilot.
And yet in Tuvok's simulator it seemed entirely possible to run the ship on a reduced crew, as Paris joined Chakotay's side and they were moving right along.

The point of the pilot was not that the Maquis were critical, but that they could not be left behind and would need to be assimilated into the crew to make use of their talents. I think perhaps there were only what, twenty Maquis? Chakotay was largely useless, they already had an engineer other than Torres, etc.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the situation in which Voyager found herself makes the inherent pragmatism of the Maquis preferable, although I have to stipulate that it would have to be done before Chokatay's wussification was complete.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

katefan wrote:
And yet in Tuvok's simulator it seemed entirely possible to run the ship on a reduced crew, as Paris joined Chakotay's side and they were moving right along.
Yes in a simulation, which was aknowlegded as such.
The point of the pilot was not that the Maquis were critical, but that they could not be left behind and would need to be assimilated into the crew to make use of their talents. I think perhaps there were only what, twenty Maquis? Chakotay was largely useless, they already had an engineer other than Torres, etc.
I said somewhat the point, there were other issues in the pilot, some more important some less.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

me,myself and I wrote:

Taking a page from the Terran Starfleet Operations Manual? :-)
If you mean the Terran Empire, then I cannot help but admire their efficiency. A captain who cannot maintain the fear and respect of his crew as well as the loyalty of a small cadre of operatives does not deserve command!
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
katefan wrote:
Yes in a simulation, which was aknowlegded as such.
I said somewhat the point, there were other issues in the pilot, some more important some less.
True, it was a simulation. But from what we know of Tuvok the simulation would have been quite thorough in regards to background information since it was security related, so every single crew member would have been included as well as Maquis members. So from what we saw things could work out with a reduced crew.

Going by the way I would have run the ship, the gang would have made it home in the Ferengi episode, years earlier than Janeway's seven year time frame (and that was done by her future self violating the temporal prime directive. The Borg would have been slaughtered by Species 8472 and the ship would have gotten back in time for the Dominion War, so chances are I may be drafted to command a ship to fight as my ruthless aggression might be employed to fighting the Jem Hadar and Cardassians.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

katefan wrote:
If you mean the Terran Empire, then I cannot help but admire their efficiency. A captain who cannot maintain the fear and respect of his crew as well as the loyalty of a small cadre of operatives does not deserve command!
That's the opposite of efficiency. Think about the institutional knowledge that dies with each senior officer, remember that respect is not necassarily awarded for skill. A Captain may buy his crews loyalty and respect with whores and booze and if it stops be killed. Regardless of how skilled an officer he is.

The Klingons practice this and it's a wonder they can even fight amongst themselves as a result. Of course they seem to be born with a football helmet on their head, so frag knows.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

katefan wrote:
True, it was a simulation. But from what we know of Tuvok the simulation would have been quite thorough in regards to background information since it was security related, so every single crew member would have been included as well as Maquis members. So from what we saw things could work out with a reduced crew.

Going by the way I would have run the ship, the gang would have made it home in the Ferengi episode, years earlier than Janeway's seven year time frame (and that was done by her future self violating the temporal prime directive. The Borg would have been slaughtered by Species 8472 and the ship would have gotten back in time for the Dominion War, so chances are I may be drafted to command a ship to fight as my ruthless aggression might be employed to fighting the Jem Hadar and Cardassians.
You may consider the points conceeded, as this has been covered quite a bit on the board already.