Just started Dr. Who

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Just started Dr. Who

Post by Monroe »

So I found a torrent site that has all of them and have begun watching them. So far only seen the first two episodes but I was impressed. Sure the graphics are kind of cheesy but they're really good storylines.

Really strange to imagine that a tree could evolve sentience or a person could flatten themselves into a piece of skin :P Its very interesting so far.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Just started Dr. Who

Post by katefan »

Modern Doctor Who feels reminiscent of Farscape in that the writers do not seem to be afraid to get weird, and I like that a great deal. In Farscape, for example, one alien had a hive of mind control insects in the side of his head. It was a far out concept and was very alien.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, I certainly have had a great deal of fun with it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, they really aren't afraid to throw some weird concepts out there.
Remember those aliens made from fat at the start of season 4?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:Remember those aliens made from fat at the start of season 4?
They related to humans?
:lol:
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You could say that.

*spoilers for that episode*
The aliens are made from human fat, and sort of pop out of us.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

My favorite episode is definitely Dalek with the Nineth Doctor, then Genesis of the Daleks with Tom Baker.

It was quite moving to see the Doctor realise that he was at that point little better than the creature he opposed and that the Dalek would rather die than become the thing he hated.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"You would have made a good Dalek."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

"Dalek" was good, but not as good as the best of the new episodes - "Blink" and "Utopia". The former was classic "behind the sofa" stuff, while the latter had a pretty ropey start, but built to a truly epic conclusion.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Blink was great.
Which one was Utopia? :?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The immediate lead-in to "Sound of Drums" and "Last of Time Time Lords" - Derek Jacobi was absolutely brilliant in it. :)

I'm trying to avoid spoilers for Monroe here.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, yes. I remember that one now. A pity the last episode of that trilogy was so.....crap.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Oh, yes. I remember that one now. A pity the last episode of that trilogy was so.....crap.
I'd say that LOTTL was pretty good by and large. It was only in the final act that things really fell apart.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. I though whats-his-name (Simms?) was brilliant in the last two episodes there. Really insane.
Would have been great if they lost the idiotic ending and laid off the uber reset button they had lying around for that episode.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:"Dalek" was good, but not as good as the best of the new episodes - "Blink" and "Utopia". The former was classic "behind the sofa" stuff, while the latter had a pretty ropey start, but built to a truly epic conclusion.
I'm actually watching Dalek now, so far its really good.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I know squat about the new series, but agreed with Kendall on "Genesis of the Daleks." I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I always liked scarf-boy.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer