Mandatory built-in breathalyzers in cars?

In the real world

Is this a good idea?

Yes, we should do this.
67%
No, bad idea.
33%
Maybe.
No votes

Total votes: 12
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mandatory built-in breathalyzers in cars?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I was reading this on another site, and thought I'd bring it up here. Do you think it would be a a good idea to install breathalyzers into cars, which won't allow the car to start if it gets a reading that indicates you're above the legal limit?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Mandatory built-in breathalyzers in cars?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:I was reading this on another site, and thought I'd bring it up here. Do you think it would be a a good idea to install breathalyzers into cars, which won't allow the car to start if it gets a reading that indicates you're above the legal limit?
As long as I don't have to pay for it, it sounds reasonable. The first girl I ever fell in love with was killed by a drunk driver. I never had the chance to tell her how I felt.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The idea is that they would come already built into the car, so you wouldn't need to pay for it. Over time, cars without breathalyzers would be phased out, leaving only cars with them on the roads.

And my condolences for your loss. I too lost someone to a drunk driver, which is why I was so interested in this idea.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Without question. We already do this for second time DUI offences in Canada, so it's not much of a stretch.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

What about if you're driving on private land? I suppose if they rigged up a GPS system to the breathalyzer to see if you're on a public road it could work.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Thorin wrote:What about if you're driving on private land? I suppose if they rigged up a GPS system to the breathalyzer to see if you're on a public road it could work.
That would be ideal, but I doubt they'll put such effort into it.

Upon looking up breathalysers, I'm a bit skeptical about the whole system. If you recently used Binaca mouth spray, for example, the stupid thing registers a super-lethal level of alcohol in your system. Conversely, there are a number of ways to reduce the reading. It's still better than nothing, though.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's all to do with the sensitivity the thing's set at. They're very adjustable. A properly calibrated one could probably avoid picking it up.
Of course, there's always the alternative of just picking a different type of mouth spray.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:It's all to do with the sensitivity the thing's set at. They're very adjustable. A properly calibrated one could probably avoid picking it up.
Of course, there's always the alternative of just picking a different type of mouth spray.
Apparently, anything from Listerine (23% alcohol) to breath mints like tic-tacs will confuse the things. And, theoretically, a cop could always crank the sensitivity up to get more arrests (they have quotas here, whether they admit it or not). They need more independant monitoring of systems like this.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm pretty sure that modern breathalyzers can be set to avoid that stuff, though I'm not sure.

Of course, as I suggested, there's always the possibility of simply deciding not to use those things when you want to drive.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:I'm pretty sure that modern breathalyzers can be set to avoid that stuff, though I'm not sure.

Of course, as I suggested, there's always the possibility of simply deciding not to use those things when you want to drive.
If I'm out trying to meet a lady, I suppose I could always skip the chili dog, right? :)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Probably. :P
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I think it's a good idea in theory but in practicality it'll be like the time when they tried something similar with seat-belts.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I think it's a good idea in theory but in practicality it'll be like the time when they tried something similar with seat-belts.
Eh? Do you mean to say that seatbelts aren't compulsory in the States? :shock:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:I think it's a good idea in theory but in practicality it'll be like the time when they tried something similar with seat-belts.
Depends on the state, as usual. Here in Texas it's mandatory for all passengers, period. (Go Texas!)
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:
No, I mean a seat-belt set up similar to this breathalyzer idea. Some manufacturers experimented with a system that force the driver and passengers to wear seat belts or the car wouldn't move.