"Hope and Fear" nits

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

"Hope and Fear" nits

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It was certainly one of the better Voyager eps (damning with faint praise anyone?), but there were a couple of little bugs here and there. When Arturis pulled on the lever, the bridge reverted, but after Janeway and Seven escaped, they found an engine room that was still Starfleet.

Then, during the chase, Voyager was "a few minutes" behind Arturis' ship, but had maxed out their slipstream velocity. Arturis increased his speed and should have pulled ahead of Voyager, but the next scene shows Voyager right behind him knocking down his shields with PTs and beaming off Seven and Janeway.

These technical nits don't take away the fact that the story was one of the few Voyager stories worthy of being called top quality Trek, but it is characteristic of the lazy Voyager writing we've discussed before.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I didn't notice that, CPH. But I agree with you that it's a great episode. And yeah, the storyline was well done, but everyone has a blooper here and there.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

mwhittington wrote:...everyone has a blooper here and there.
With Voyager, it seemed like "here and there" was practically the whole show.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Slipstream drive one of the greatest technologies that Voyeger brought back, let us hope that SF will start instaling it on their ships.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That's another thing a show set maybe fifty years after Nemesis could address. The story possibilities increase as the in-universe technology increases, as Graham pointed out in his Enterprise article. Going backward leads to inconsistancies at best, and outright contradiction at worst (ENT: Regeneration).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I thought the slipstream drive didn't work? :?

Personaly, I think they should get back to studying the effects of Warp 10, and seeing can they be countered. Heck, just giving each member of the crew a copy of the healing vaccine (or whatever it was) could rectify the whole problem. They go to Warp 10, drop out again, and everyone takes the cure. Problem solved, and no one turns into a salamander.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:I thought the slipstream drive didn't work? :?
The drive itself worked fine - it was the navigation software that was faulty, and required the Delta Flyer to run ahead and transmit course corrections back to Voyager. Not that that method worked much better, but a few years or decades of refining to the technology should give the Feds trans-galactic flight.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:I thought the slipstream drive didn't work? :?

Personaly, I think they should get back to studying the effects of Warp 10, and seeing can they be countered. Heck, just giving each member of the crew a copy of the healing vaccine (or whatever it was) could rectify the whole problem. They go to Warp 10, drop out again, and everyone takes the cure. Problem solved, and no one turns into a salamander.
I thought we'd come to a consensus that that episode doesn't exist, like the ENT finale...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If that's the case, then can we throw out Threshold too? Please?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:If that's the case, then can we throw out Threshold too? Please?
That's what he meant I think.

But ya, Slipstream should be the Faster then warp engine of choice. It looks cooler and has a cooler name
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:That's what he meant I think.

But ya, Slipstream should be the Faster then warp engine of choice. It looks cooler and has a cooler name
Yeah, that's what I meant, and a slipstream-equipped UFP would make for some good 'Trek. Taking the fight to the Borg would be something I'd like to see, at least. Or, a new species from one of the Magellenic Clouds could become a primary threat. The possibilities are near endless, and wouldn't have to go against established 'Trek fact.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Or, a new species from one of the Magellenic Clouds could become a primary threat.
I like that idea. Maybe they start attacking the federation and other Alpha quadrent powers, and the Federation is forced to speed up development of Slipstream drive and other experimental technologys so that they can strike back. That could be a very interesting series.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I like it. Write that in to Paramount, Tsu.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Perhaps now that 'Trek is under new management, I may just give that a shot. I thought about sending in scripts for Enterprise, but they'd screwed it up royally by the time I was living under an actual roof again...