Dominion Battleship

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

wild digression time: i hope that the 2000 'romulan troops' that attempted to establish a beachhead on vulcan, were remans, can't stand 'em!
RE: Dominion Battlecruiser, Jem Hadar apparently can endure standing for prolonged periods and don't seem to require any creature-comforts, so even smaller dominion vessels can have a relatively staggering troop capacity, that would be unheard of, in the fleets of many other races.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So then why build such a large ship and not fill it out with weapons. That would be a horrible waste of resources and meaningless if you could build 12 battlecruiser for the same cost.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

psychology of intimidation?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yes well psychology tells me that 12 battlecruisers coming at me would make me need new pants.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

hahaha lol
The dominion battleship is really imposing though beyond its capabilities, almost like a terror weapon(like the executor was, compared to the conventional star destroyers), i say pampas all around for anyone not in a sovereign class, although riker clearly needs pampas, judging by his expressions......
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Given its relatively weak armament for its size it's possible that the battleship's primary role is planetary assault, rather than ship-to-ship combat. I'd expect a dedicated battleship that size to outgun a Galaxy by something like 10-to-one, in the same way the E-nil did Kruge's BoP.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thats a fine idea, maybe its meant to land troops and just carries enough firepower to protect its self from single vessels that are going to be raiding supply lines. As for its size it should be like the scimitar in combat rating if it were a true battleship. So she is a carrier after all!
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Am curious to know, who here believes that the existance of the 4,800m dominion dreadnought, with the 2mill, troop capacity as being an intended vessel in the 'trek universe,rather than a special effects glitch/embellishment, i personally just plum for the 1,200 metre 'valiant' vessel
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I don't like the idea of the super battle ship but i don't mind speaking about. However i don't believe it was ever truly fielded.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, out of universe it was just an effects goof. However, in universe, they do exist.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Granitehewer wrote:Am curious to know, who here believes that the existance of the 4,800m dominion dreadnought, with the 2mill, troop capacity as being an intended vessel in the 'trek universe,rather than a special effects glitch/embellishment, i personally just plum for the 1,200 metre 'valiant' vessel
I think it's just a glitch, like most things, but being the geeks we are, we are unnaturally forced to find an in-universe explanation :wink:
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

in common parlance,is a geek the same as a nerd, or does one sire marginally more respect, than t'other?
Think i'm both, possibly
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Over here, 'Geek' is more a derogatory name, while 'nerd' implies the person is very smart. Oddly enough, over here a lot of people stereotype poeple who watch science fiction as being very clever. I guess that mostly stems from Star Trek, with average Joe assuming we can understand all that technobabble.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Well here "geek" is a less offensive term but "nerd" generally means more clever, while still being geekish. Generally the two are interchangable.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's an odd debate, the whole "do we believe in X just because of Y" thing.

I generally take the view that "if it's on screen, it's true unless there's something else on screen which says it isn't."

Within that context, I prioritise what people say over what we see in FX. What people say is what the writers intend; what the FX guys do is more open to interpretation.

But if it's there in FX, and there's no reason to think it's wrong, then I generally accept it.

In this case, the ship is there on screen, and it's that big. If somebody in a line of dialogue had said "wow, it's more of those ships that the Valiant fought!" then I'd have disregarded the FX in a heartbeat. But nobody did.

So... why NOT believe in a 4.8 km ship? We know ships that big are possible, we know that there are Trek species that use them. So do we rule it out just because we don't want to believe in it?

You might say "they just wanted to make the ship look more powerful, we should assume it's a normal battleship". But in that argument you relying on the fact that it looks like the same ship - you are in fact relying on the FX. But you're accepting every detail of how it looks except the size. So you accept some aspects of the FX... and reject other aspects. It's a completely arbitrary argument. It sums up to "I don't want to accept a big ship so I won't."

You could equally argue "they wanted a big powerful ship here, we should assume it's this big but should look different to the battleship". You're doing the exact same thing, accepting some aspects of the FX and not others. It's no different in kind from argument one, so why not? Again it's purely bias.

It seems to me that a genuinely unbiased view would have to look at what is actually there, and accept it unless there is a real reason not to do so.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...