Question about Star Wars fighters

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Thrawn Trilogy, Black Fleet Crisis, Corellian Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Duology, the X-Wing books
ah...the good old days. But I suppose after a while, new warload showing up every other year would've gotten boring after a while.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: Actually, 50% of the EU is utter shite-IE, New Jedi Order, Dark Nest Trilogy, and Legacy of the Force. That's effectively half the EU.
Agreed.
Some Bantam books were horrible, that was true-Crystal Star for one.
Yes.
But Thrawn Trilogy,
Decent if to minimalist.
Black Fleet Crisis,
Garbage. We're to expect that the fleet is a threat to the New Republic?
Corellian Trilogy,
Garbage.
Hand of Thrawn Duology,
Just what the EU needs, more Thrawn.:roll:
the X-Wing books,
Yeah...Starfighters taking down capital ships.
Knights of the Old Republic comic book and games...
Comics are for children. Games were decent.
I suggest you read/play more Star Wars EU before you go bashing it.
Thanks man, I've only been doing it for over twenty years.
And the ICS is fanboy shite.

Uh huh, sure it is. :roll:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The EU is rather up-and-down. Some great authors, some good, some average, some bad, some utter shite, and some Karen Traviss. By and large the great and the good are in the minority - for every Thrawn trilogy you get an NJO, for every RotS trilogy a Republic Commando series.

As for the ICS, I see it simply a canon version of the SWTC. If you want to claim that a bloke with a doctorate in astrophysics doesn't know what he's talking about that's your prerogative. I, on the other hand, like the fact that we finally get some exact numbers to go with the back-of the-envelope calcs of BDZs and so on.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Black Fleet Crisis,
Garbage. We're to expect that the fleet is a threat to the New Republic?
I quite liked the BFC - shove the minimalism aside and it's a pretty good series, especially given the emphasis given to the decision for war as a political decision, rather than the absolute concentration on the military that seems prevalent in the EU.
Hand of Thrawn Duology,
Just what the EU needs, more Thrawn.:roll:
Thrawn himself was unnecessarily shoehorned in, but the duology as a whole was pretty good, albeit not as good as Zahn's first trilogy.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:The EU is rather up-and-down. Some great authors, some good, some average, some bad, some utter shite, and some Karen Traviss. By and large the great and the good are in the minority - for every Thrawn trilogy you get an NJO, for every RotS trilogy a Republic Commando series.

As for the ICS, I see it simply a canon version of the SWTC. If you want to claim that a bloke with a doctorate in astrophysics doesn't know what he's talking about that's your prerogative. I, on the other hand, like the fact that we finally get some exact numbers to go with the back-of the-envelope calcs of BDZs and so on.
Lets see what SuperSaiyaMan12 comes up with for reasons why the ICS is shite and if it's any different from the usual BS that gets spouted. Lets see we have: Dr. Saxton collaborated with Mike Wong and Wayne Poe, he secretly exaggerated his figures, none of the figures match with what we see on screen (ignoring that they don't contradict it), it's not G-canon. Am I missing anything?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
I quite liked the BFC - shove the minimalism aside and it's a pretty good series, especially given the emphasis given to the decision for war as a political decision, rather than the absolute concentration on the military that seems prevalent in the EU.
It's increasingly hard to ignore the minimalism for me, seeing as it's becoming so prevalent.

Thrawn himself was unnecessarily shoehorned in, but the duology as a whole was pretty good, albeit not as good as Zahn's first trilogy.
Hard to measure up to the original. I'm just sick of Thrawn and the endless recycling of the original cast.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:Lets see what SuperSaiyaMan12 comes up with for reasons why the ICS is shite and if it's any different from the usual BS that gets spouted. Lets see we have: Dr. Saxton collaborated with Mike Wong and Wayne Poe, he secretly exaggerated his figures, none of the figures match with what we see on screen (ignoring that they don't contradict it), it's not G-canon. Am I missing anything?
The fact that the ICS was obviously written for the sole purpose of winning the versus debate. :roll:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
The fact that the ICS was obviously written for the sole purpose of winning the versus debate. :roll:
That's actually my favorite.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:It's increasingly hard to ignore the minimalism for me, seeing as it's becoming so prevalent.
Minimalism I don't really mind, so long as it's a) not rammed down your throat too much a la Traviss, and b) wrapped up in good writing and a good story. Kube-McDowell had an abysmall sense of scale, but his writing was good enough to overcome that, and the BFC was more of a political thriller than a war story anyway.
Hard to measure up to the original. I'm just sick of Thrawn and the endless recycling of the original cast.
Still, after the dross of the Correlian trilogy it was good to get back to something that felt like Star Wars, something Zahn's always been good at.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Minimalism I don't really mind, so long as it's a) not rammed down your throat too much a la Traviss, and b) wrapped up in good writing and a good story. Kube-McDowell had an abysmall sense of scale, but his writing was good enough to overcome that, and the BFC was more of a political thriller than a war story anyway.
Maybe I'll see if the library has copy and give it another read.
Still, after the dross of the Correlian trilogy it was good to get back to something that felt like Star Wars, something Zahn's always been good at.
True, he does get the feel right. So that brings us to what? 95% crap? That's pretty much within the usual standard for genres.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:the X-Wing books,

Yeah...Starfighters taking down capital ships.
So? Fighters can take down carriers and battleships. I'm not seeing a problem. Same thing happens in other fiction.
Knights of the Old Republic comic book and games...

Comics are for children. Games were decent.
Comics are for children? God, thats a dumb view. I suppose all the death, sexual innuendo, etc. makes comics childish, huh? I suppose Watchmen or 300 are made for preschoolers huh?

Again, don't bash without reading. The comics are well written and drawn. It would also make you less of a jerk.

And the ICS is fanboy shite.

Uh huh, sure it is. :roll:[/quote]
It was solely made because Mike Wong and Curtis Saxton are the worse Star Wars fanboys imaginable. Or are you a Wongite?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: Comics are for children?
Or children in adult bodies, take your pick.
God, thats a dumb view. I suppose all the death, sexual innuendo, etc. makes comics childish, huh? I suppose Watchmen or 300 are made for preschoolers huh?
See above.
Again, don't bash without reading. The comics are well written and drawn. It would also make you less of a jerk.
I have and do thank you very much.

It was solely made because Mike Wong and Curtis Saxton are the worse Star Wars fanboys imaginable. Or are you a Wongite?
This says everything we need to know about you. Prove that it was, I'm sure we won't see anything new.

What does it matter what side I'm on? I see however that your taking a leaf out of RSA's playbook.

Edit: Whoops missed one.
So? Fighters can take down carriers and battleships. I'm not seeing a problem. Same thing happens in other fiction.
CV's and BB's don't have shields that can shrug of gigatons of firepower.
Last edited by Aaron on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ok, time to get back on topic...
Why do some fighters (X-wing, Y-wing, Naboo and Jedi fighters) have droids and others (A-wing, B-wing) do not?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

stitch626 wrote:Ok, time to get back on topic...
Why do some fighters (X-wing, Y-wing, Naboo and Jedi fighters) have droids and others (A-wing, B-wing) do not?
The A-Wing was designed as an interceptor and has a navicomputer that can store a set amount of jump points (one of the functions of an astromech), presumably the droid was left out due to space requirements. Ditto for the B-Wing, there's not alot of usable space on that thing.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Or children in adult bodies, take your pick
What's the point of growing up if you can't act childish once in a while?
Ok, time to get back on topic...
I'm not sure about the B-Wing, but the A-Wing's designer choose to not include an Astromech to reduce the weight and make it easier and cheaper to construct.

Also on a side note, the Jedi fighters, the Delta-7s(the ones from episode II) don't have full bodied astromechs. They just wouldn't fit. Those are hardwired in. Although R4-P17 was later rebuilt into a full body and joined Obi-Wan in Episode III, where he lost his head, literally.