Question about Star Wars fighters

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Question about Star Wars fighters

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Why do they have adjustable S-foils? That seems more worthless then the Prometheus' MVAM. At least that has advantages of some sort. The B-Wing I can understand to save space in a hanger but the X-Wing doesn't really change in size. So what real purpose does it serve? All it seems to do is add more mass and complex components.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, the change of blaster possition does increase firing spread slightly, and the changiing of wing positions does change the moments of inertia leterally allowing for better manouvourbillity (probably botched the spelling there :) )
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

The X-wing is a cool ship, but I liked the Z-95 Headhunter better (Predecessor to the X-Wing). No astromech droid, no having to open the foils to attack the enemy. It had only 2 turbolasers and I don't know if it had a proton torpedo launcher or not, but it was the "pure sports car" of space fighters.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

It had concusion missile launchers.

The X-Wing s-foils save space a little bit. Like others said it also increases the firing arc.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, they spread out the fire for larger targeting area. And it... looks cool.

Besides, I love saying, "Lock S-foils in attack position!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I thought that when the S-Foils are in a folded position, they are more streamlined, making atmospheric travel quicker and easier. And when they are in firing position, they provide more resistance, therefore higher manouvrability. And the cannons are mounted in such a way that when in the deployed position, it gives a bigger fire spread.
Perhaps if the cannons were fired in the cruising position, the heat of being so close together would melt them or fuse them somehow...just a theory.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

X-wings can fire with the wings closed, but it's very unusual, and apparently an impressive trick. This suggests it's got something to do with the targeting (X-wing: Wraith Squadron, pg 49).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:X-wings can fire with the wings closed, but it's very unusual, and apparently an impressive trick. This suggests it's got something to do with the targeting (X-wing: Wraith Squadron, pg 49).
It's also got something to do with the radiators being in the wings. Opening them makes shedding heat easier.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't the four laser bolts converge when the ship fires? That would mean that firing with the wings closed and hitting something would be pretty damn hard to do.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The S-soils also work with the ships shields. Spreading the shield bubble out, thining out the fighters profile and supporting a wider firing arc. In flight they serve also to increase combat manouvrability and displace heat from the weapons.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Don't the four laser bolts converge when the ship fires? That would mean that firing with the wings closed and hitting something would be pretty damn hard to do.
Yes, in the X-Wing series Seafort mentioned earlier also had mentioned in one of the earlier books that they can adjust the range of the convergence.

But we've seen fixed wing fighters that seemed to fight as efficently and they don't seem to have their shots converge either. So what advantage is there?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*shrug*
As others pointed out, it could be to allow heat to bleed off more efficiently, which would be the advantage in this case.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

because it looks cool, that's why.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tiberius wrote:because it looks cool, that's why.
*ding ding ding!* WINNER!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:
Tiberius wrote:because it looks cool, that's why.
*ding ding ding!* WINNER!
If that's the final answer for this then I'm saying the same thing the next time the MVAM issue comes up.