Yet more Traviss BS

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:Didn't Alderaan commit its own genocide on the indigenous peoples that lives there thousands of years ago? Or did the native Alderaanians just up and disappear?
They were Killicks. Killicks were the basis of the Dark Nest Trillogy. :x For this reason I know nothing whatsoever about the Killicks.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Although I've never read that series (thank God), I think that they went extinct long before humans settled there.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Monroe wrote:Didn't Alderaan commit its own genocide on the indigenous peoples that lives there thousands of years ago? Or did the native Alderaanians just up and disappear?
They were Killicks. Killicks were the basis of the Dark Nest Trillogy. :x For this reason I know nothing whatsoever about the Killicks.
Oh. Well shoot I had never read that triology. I might soon though. I miss reading the Star Wars books up and unless I want to restart the 80 some books I've read I might pick up that set.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Monroe wrote:Oh. Well shoot I had never read that triology. I might soon though. I miss reading the Star Wars books up and unless I want to restart the 80 some books I've read I might pick up that set.
Do yourself a favour - don't. It's irredemeable, incomprehensible, boring shit. It's the last SW novel series I bought, and it made me wish I'd stopped with the NJO.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wait, you still had hope after the pile of crap that was the NJO?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:Wait, you still had hope after the pile of crap that was the NJO?
I really liked the NJO.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

For some reason, I like books that are well translated into movies or series, but not the other way 'round...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Then again I also really liked ENT.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Wait, you still had hope after the pile of crap that was the NJO?
I wouldn't call it a pile of crap. The Vong biowank and masochistic tendencies were extremely irritating, but the series as a whole wasn't too bad. I'd say that overall it was pretty middling - not as good as Zahn's work, or the Wraith squadron books, but much better than KJA, or The Crystal Star, or The New Rebellion (not saying much, I know). It also had some real gems, particularly the Enemy Lines Duology, and The Unifying Force would have been a good solid point at which to end the post-RotJ EU.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I thought Star By Star was an amazing piece of work. That author is on one side or the other of the number crunching game, I think he's opposed to Traviss but I'm not positive. Pretty sure he's opposed since in one scene alone a single hit knocks hundreds of people off the buildlings and the ships coming at them have millions. He threw some large numbers out there like the thousands of Vong that the Supreme Chancellor killed. So that's good in my book.

Traitor I really liked too it was a lot different than the other SW books.

I also particularlly liked how it really was suspensful to read. Every time they ran into a character that I remembered from a previous book I was wondering if they were going to die or not. Star Wars has so many secondary characters that the NJO series seemed like they were really wanting to just kill a ton of them off and they sure did. Killing Chewbacca set the right mood for the series I think. It actually created suspense because I didn't know who was next.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Monroe wrote:I thought Star By Star was an amazing piece of work. That author is on one side or the other of the number crunching game, I think he's opposed to Traviss but I'm not positive. Pretty sure he's opposed since in one scene alone a single hit knocks hundreds of people off the buildlings and the ships coming at them have millions. He threw some large numbers out there like the thousands of Vong that the Supreme Chancellor killed. So that's good in my book.

I also particularlly liked how it really was suspensful to read. Every time they ran into a character that I remembered from a previous book I was wondering if they were going to die or not. Star Wars has so many secondary characters that the NJO series seemed like they were really wanting to just kill a ton of them off and they sure did. Killing Chewbacca set the right mood for the series I think. It actually created suspense because I didn't know who was next.
They killed off *too many* characters in NJO, giving another reason why it sucked. I mean, once Anakin was killed...you put the series down.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Just my two cents, anything the Alderaans had done 25,000+ years prior would not justify the obliteration of thier planet as a weapon demonstration.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
Monroe wrote:I thought Star By Star was an amazing piece of work. That author is on one side or the other of the number crunching game, I think he's opposed to Traviss but I'm not positive. Pretty sure he's opposed since in one scene alone a single hit knocks hundreds of people off the buildlings and the ships coming at them have millions. He threw some large numbers out there like the thousands of Vong that the Supreme Chancellor killed. So that's good in my book.

They killed off *too many* characters in NJO, giving another reason why it sucked. I mean, once Anakin was killed...you put the series down.
I thought Anakin should have lived personally. I know the author of the book that centered Anakin's trip through Vong Yavin really wanted tto write Star by Star but lost the bid or something. He would have made it so Anakin had gotten what's her name pregnant. But since they were like 14 it didn't fly.

Still though at the time there were no plans for any future books, though most people smelled the BS in that, so might as well kill off all these characters.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Monroe wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:

I thought Anakin should have lived personally. I know the author of the book that centered Anakin's trip through Vong Yavin really wanted tto write Star by Star but lost the bid or something. He would have made it so Anakin had gotten what's her name pregnant. But since they were like 14 it didn't fly.

Still though at the time there were no plans for any future books, though most people smelled the BS in that, so might as well kill off all these characters.
Killing the next generation characters and setting up the others for a fall was really bad. Del Ray does not, I repeat, does NOT, handle Star Wars well, and hiring authors like the hack Karen Traviss is proof of their ineptitude.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I loathed SBS. In ways that... yeah. Just...

Let's kill off a bunch of characters that could carry the next wave of books! Let's have the Vong take Coruscant after losing half their fleet... and literally half the NRDF in orbit of the most heavily-defended planet in the effin' galaxy!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: