3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:
What's SFJ, if I may ask?
A site called "Starfleet Jedi".
It is a black hole of pure stupid.
Thanks. I will... take your word for it. Although Worf with a lightsaber sounds cool to me. ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Thanks. I will... take your word for it. Although Worf with a lightsaber sounds cool to me. ;)
You should look up the Unity saga. Data with a lightsaber was awesome. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
You should look up the Unity saga. Data with a lightsaber was awesome. :D
Hmm, IIRC, I have that bookmarked. Will have to re-continue it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It really doesn't sound like she's that terrible of an author judging from her reviews. She's just got this number problem and this Mando problem.
Her first book, which featured none of the insanity or fanwank that typifies her later works, was actualy fairly decent. I actualy thought at that point she had the capability to become one of the better EU authors.
Then someone pointed out that her 3 million clones to fight a galaxy-wide war bit made no sense, and all this crap sprung up. The fact that her later novels are pretty much devoted purely to how uber the Mandalorians are and how evil the Jedi are (she even wrote that the Council was involved to keep the Clone Wars going on for longer) tends to destroy any shred of good writing she has.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

It makes perfect sense. If three million mere humans can hold the western front against the Germans, barely, in WWI surely three million clones can win a conflict expanding millions of systems.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

The fact that her later novels are pretty much devoted purely to how uber the Mandalorians are and how evil the Jedi are (she even wrote that the Council was involved to keep the Clone Wars going on for longer)
This sort of mentality right here sums up my bad experiences with Star Wars fans. It's like, get out a Nazi flag and stroke yourself in it already, drop the pretense. ;)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Eh? That's not the fans doing. Aside from a handful of fanboys, no one likes what she's doing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Rochey wrote:Eh? That's not the fans doing. Aside from a handful of fanboys, no one likes what she's doing.
I shoudl really try to look up that site I was briefly a member on. The whole place was Empire worship.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Was the site you're talking about in the line of "The Empire was cooler and more competant than the NR", or what? From the EU stuff, the Empire quite simply was more competant than the NR. And I don't think there's any dispute on the cool factor. :)
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Rochey wrote:Was the site you're talking about in the line of "The Empire was cooler and more competant than the NR", or what? From the EU stuff, the Empire quite simply was more competant than the NR. And I don't think there's any dispute on the cool factor. :)
Well you might very well fit in with them, except their attitudes seemed to apply to real life politics as well. That was the part I couldn't stand.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Agreed. The Empire is hardly a model government.
It's just cooler. :)
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Empire was cooler. And they weren't that bad as portrayed in the books. One of the reasons I want to make that Inquisitor book. Where are all these attrocities? I remember a biologically engineered bug that ate a planet, a few super weapons, but really there haven't been anything up close and personal in books. The Yuuzhan Vong have done far worse.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Monroe wrote:Empire was cooler. And they weren't that bad as portrayed in the books. One of the reasons I want to make that Inquisitor book. Where are all these attrocities? I remember a biologically engineered bug that ate a planet, a few super weapons, but really there haven't been anything up close and personal in books. The Yuuzhan Vong have done far worse.
Torture is an atrocity and the Empire seems to use it without batting an eye, at least in the movies.

Oh, oops, and blowing up planets as demonstrations.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I disagree that Alderaan was an attrocity. That's like saying Hiroshima was. It should be avoided but in the nessessities of war it happens.

But you've got a point with the torture. Still though, its not seen -that- often. There should be a book that goes into the darker side of the Empire. And I'm not meaning the Dark Side of the force :p
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Monroe wrote:I disagree that Alderaan was an attrocity. That's like saying Hiroshima was. It should be avoided but in the nessessities of war it happens.

But you've got a point with the torture. Still though, its not seen -that- often. There should be a book that goes into the darker side of the Empire. And I'm not meaning the Dark Side of the force :p
That's the problem. Blowing up Alderaan was not a necessity. It's not like they had their own superweapon pointed back at the Empire. If we get that loose with what excuses mass destruction of civilians then really, the idea any atrocity can even exist at all gets slippery. We can justify anything as a "necessity of war."

And Hiroshima WAS an atrocity, almost by definition. Whether or not it was necessary for the overall course of the war is a debate people still have to this day but whether it was or wasn't a "smart strategic move", it was still an atrocity.