Who builds Starships?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Who builds Starships?

Post by Mikey »

Monroe wrote:I would imagine that all human companies are owned by the Federation since they're very commie like. That being said if they just could create a replicator large enough why even build ships when you can just pop them out?
Certain things, like warp coils, can't be replicated.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or metal hatches.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Or fancy rainwater
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or blood.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Or IQ
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Or banana pancakes with maple syrup.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Talos
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Talos »

stitch626 wrote:Or banana pancakes with maple syrup.
banana pancakes are easy to replicate but the maple syrup... way too complicated...
Last edited by Talos on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Talos wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Or banana pancakes with maple syrup.
banana pancakes are easy to replicate but the marple syrup... way too complicated...
Like I said, IQ. :|
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Considering the normally overly-complex SF SOP, they'd probably just replicate a tree, tap it, boil the sap, and then replicate a Vermonter to bottle it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Where would they put the tree. Mature maples are quite large.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mikey wrote:Considering the normally overly-complex SF SOP, they'd probably just replicate a tree, tap it, boil the sap, and then replicate a Vermonter to bottle it.
So, it's a good thing that Starships don't grow on trees - in some backwards way!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If you cant replicate a warp coil how do you make them? If a machine that can put together a nice steak cant make something as good as a machine can there is something wrong.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:If you cant replicate a warp coil how do you make them? If a machine that can put together a nice steak cant make something as good as a machine can there is something wrong.
Isn't it the whole idea that warp coils are crazy hard to make, which is what makes them so special (and valuable) and limits ship production? IIRC, this is a point YOU'VE made in the past.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Monroe wrote: That being said if they just could create a replicator large enough why even build ships when you can just pop them out?
I'm sure there's energy concerns. Voyager had to ration replicator usage, so imagine how much energy it would take to replicate a massive starship. It might just be more cost efficient to build them the old fashined way. Like how we can power cars with hydrogen fuel cells, but it isn't energy efficient(yet)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The point I was making that in show they say warp coils are cray hard to make and thu greatly limits the amount of ships you can resonably field.

What I'm saying now is why is that the case? Why can a machine or a human make something to a greater degree of skill than a machine that can form organic material from nothing?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.