Two children dead due to mothers stupidity.

In the real world
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Two children dead due to mothers stupidity.

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Video of incident

Simply put, a mother driving a van with her four kids inside raced a freight train to a level crossing in an atempt to get there before the train. Unfortunately, she didn't see another train coming the opposite way. Both trains hit the car. Two of the kids are dead, the mother and the other kids are now in hospital.
Really quite shocking.
HAMMOND | Two children died Saturday morning after a van filled with a mom and her four kids was struck by two freight trains at a busy residential crossing.

The 32-year-old mother, Edie Bolanos, and her other two children were still listed in critical condition Saturday night after being flown to Chicago hospitals.

Crystal Bolanos, 11, and Anahi Bolanos, 8, were pronounced dead at the scene from multiple blunt-force trauma by the Lake County coroner's office.

The crash occurred about 10 a.m. at the CSX railroad crossing at Johnson Avenue and Hudson Street, six blocks from the Hammond home where the family lives in the 200 block of East Hanover Street.

Authorities said the mom and kids were southbound on Johnson when their Mercury minivan was struck by a train heading west. The van was then pushed onto the eastbound tracks, where a second train hit it.

Two of the kids were ejected from the van and were dead when police arrived. The van was crumpled on the driver's side and pushed about 30 feet west of Johnson. Smashed bicycle parts and kids' shoes were strewn about.

The eastbound train blocked traffic for about three hours Saturday as police investigated the crash.

The crossing is protected by flashing lights, but it's not equipped with guard arms that lower when a train is approaching. Several neighbors complained that the dangerous intersection should be protected with guard arms.
Source.

What the hell possesed her to do this with her four children in the back? Where were they going that couldn't wait another minute? I have no sympathy for this woman.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

She's lucky she didn't kill the other two kids.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well... that's pretty damned stupid of her. Common sense is a rare commodity on this planet.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I wouldnt call this stupidity so much as bad judgement. I know cutting rail crossings is a big problem here. So much so that tv adds have been put on to warn about it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deliberately racing to catch up with the train, overtake it, and try get across the crossing right in front of it is BAD JUDGEMENT?! :shock:

I'd describe it more along the lines of mind-numbing stupidity that you wouldn't believe a person capable of without seeing it for yourself. The sad thing is that she survived and her kids didn't, otherwise that would count as a sure-fire Darwin Award.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

No jumping off a roof in a Superman cape is Stupidity. Over estimating the acceleration of your car while not intelligent is not really cause for a Darwin award. Also it was another train that killed her not the one she was racing which is just bad luck. Two trains hitting the same crossing at the same time... I dont really blame her for not seeing the second one.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Firstly, the idiot responsible for this survived - it was two of her children who were killed. Secondly, it was the train she was racing that hit her van - she got through about a foot in front of the one coming the the other way. Thirdly, how long would have taken to wait until the trains had passed. This wasn't someone trying to run the lights and nip underneath a barrier before it came down - she was running alongside the train, probably at full speed looking at the video, to catch up with the train before overtaking it and trying to dash across the crossing. If she'd been going at a more normal speed the trains would have passed the crossing by the time she reached it. The whole event wasn't a case of "bad judgement", it was a case of incomprehensible stupidity.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

UPDATE: The mother aparantly died in hospital. That leaves three dead, two criticaly injured and four emotianaly scarred. All for trying to save 45 seconds of travel time...

probably at full speed looking at the video,
The train was supposedly going at 40 MPH, so she seems to be going at 60 MPH judgeing from the video.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I hate people. I personally deem ehat that woman did to be the equivalent of murder. I only wish it could have taken her longer to die.

I'm not a very nice person, sometimes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:I hate people. I personally deem ehat that woman did to be the equivalent of murder. I only wish it could have taken her longer to die.

I'm not a very nice person, sometimes.
People like this make it very hard to observe the niceties of civilized manners.

She was a total moron, this one.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd love to hear what they say at her funeral.
"She was such a nice, considerate person who always put her children and family first."

:roll:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's the problem - she tried to put them first - ahead of a speeding train.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. Even if the person who died was a complete a*****e, they would still ignore that.

I feel sorry for the kids, if they survive they'll have lost two siblings and their mother. I feel sorry for the father as well, two kids and his wife gone in one day...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

What was wrong with this women? Even if driving by myself I wouldn't have tried that and I'm pretty reckless when no one else is at risk. It's not like a train can be stopped as fast as a car. Depending on the speed and weight of the train it could easily take .25 miles to stop. And in a car vs train crash the train always wins. I only wish she had survived long enough to explain herself.