NX-class (or, "De-technologificating the ENT series...)

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork

How would you change the NX class?

Make it more advanced-looking
No votes
Make it less advanced-looking
84%
Keep it the same!
16%

Total votes: 37
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

To be honest, I liked the basic design of the NX-01. However, I think the design should have had the aesthetics of the Original Series.

I also would have liked to see the Daedelus class. perhaps not the clunky old design that looked like a milk pail, but a TOS version of the Pasteur from All Good Things. That ship showed that the Daedelus class could look good.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

Rochey wrote:DBS,
I thought you did a pretty good job at making a 'realistic' ENT era Enterprise.

Why could the creators of the series not think up something more plausable than Akiraprise? Are they that creatively bankrupt?
Because the fans like the Akira. The Powers That Be thought that by using a similar design, made to look somewhat pre-TOS, people would be happy and flock to the show... they were wrong.
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Yep. I think that they just miscalculated their fan base. With the benefit of hindsight, they should have seen that while the show should appeal to many people, the group that would make or break the show were the loyal Trekkies. And most of us seem to like ourselves our continuity! :x

I think that in trying to be instantly recognizable to a mass audience the producers forgot to appeal to their base. :(
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Is it just me or has Trek rapidly been slipping away from the original concept? Look at TNG and then contrast it with the Dominion wars, Voyager and then Enterprise. They're nothing like each other!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Yes, I'd agree mostly with that. What I think is happening is people don't like too much optimism anymore. (this is just my opinion, so it should be heavily salted :lol: ). I think that showing a peachy future is often done by showing us that our current way isn't the "Bestest Way Possible In The Universe(TM)", and seeing what more "evolved" humans might be like makes us mad, or otherwise develop self-esteem issues. It simply takes too much effort to watch something and say "Gee, we should try to be more like that..." It is easier to say that "optmistic futures are naive, humans will never act better because it is Human Nature(TM) to be bad"

Now we like "realistic" sci-fi, at least philosophically, if not technically. We love flawed characters, and hate being told we aren't the best. So writers feel more and more pressure to show the "dark side" of the universe. It is no secret that several of the DS9 writers did not buy into the Trek philosophy at all and worked pretty hard to bring it "down to earth". Not to fault them, my primitive human brain loved the Dominion stuff and all the moral angst. But it didn't jibe with me philosophically. If TNG had encountered Section 31, Picard would not have rested until he had Sloane in the brig and shut down the whole operation 8) . In DS9, we say they are the lesser of two evils, so it's okay to compromise our morality to keep us safe :evil:.

:x :x :x :x :x :shock:

Oi.

Sorry to rant. If this makes any sense at all, let me know. If it is completely pointless... :oops:
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't worry, you made sense. :)

I agree with you on most of that.
Also seeing Picard single handedly taking down Section 31 should be the next film. Those guys are a perversion of all the Federation stands for. :x
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Devore Sergez
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by Devore Sergez »

they should have made it like the saucer section of the Constitution with the nx type nacells however not as advanced looking it looks like its from the late 24th century.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Preferably they shouldnt have done the show or ship at all. If they did I would have done something that looked like a very segmented ship. Not aerodynamic or stlyish. would be ugly but that what you pay for doing a retro show.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bernd
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by Bernd »

I like the proposal by DBS. It reminds me of the Conestoga (which represents old tech much rather than NX-01).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

in general...

Post by Mikey »

I also like DBS' concept, although it would have been (fairly) easy, and in complete continuity, to use a Daedalus or something similar. However, as has been said before, continuity never really seemed to be an issue with the Enterprise franchise. I had at one time sent an extensive e-mail to Mr. Kennedy trying to explain how the NX-type design COULD be made to fit in the grand scheme of things - I won't repeat it all here, because the point is this: I hate having to be FORCED to make leaps of logic and faith on my own just to make sense of a show that I'm trying to enjoy.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

I always thought that the NX on Enteprise looked great. It was probably the predocessor to the Akira in my mind.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's the problem - it DOES look great, and like a predecessor to the Akira. Unfortunately, that means that it doesn't look RIGHT. It MIGHT be possible that after the NX, engineers found that the circular saucer of the NX worked better than the sphere of the Daedalus, but that the latters secondary hull structure worked better than the NX-type catamaran; ergo, the synthesis that we saw in the Constitution class. As I said earlier, though, I don't like the fact that the show FORCED me to draw these lines.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I also liked the design of the NX-01. It's a saucer with nacelles stuck to it with some bracing. For a Starfleet design... couldn't be simpler.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Unfortunately, it still takes a leap of faith to put the NX-class into an evolutionary structure with everything 'Trek has shown us before. That's the fundamental issue with Enterprise, and what I'm afraid will be the issue with ST XI - the fact that the producers are willing to sacrifice continuity and a logical flow for "cool" looks and ideas.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:Unfortunately, it still takes a leap of faith to put the NX-class into an evolutionary structure with everything 'Trek has shown us before. That's the fundamental issue with Enterprise, and what I'm afraid will be the issue with ST XI - the fact that the producers are willing to sacrifice continuity and a logical flow for "cool" looks and ideas.
But... it didn't for me. It looked right-as subjective as that sounds. A saucer with nacelles... simple as simple gets for a Starfleet ship.