Station Mass

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Station Mass

Post by kostmayer »

Think I've emailed in about this before. The mass for the Dysons Sphere and the big liquid world thingy out of Voyager are a little light.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Do we know how thick the Dyson Sphere was? Otherwise I don't think there's a way to find out other than guessing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It should be calculable from the images of the Enterprise entering the sphere - I'd take about 1/2 km to a km as a rough guess. The real problem is figuring the density of "carbon neutronium". Given that phasers would be "ineffective" against it it's probably somewhere in the region of uranium, but that's only a wild guess.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC neutronium is one of the densest things you can get. I have no idea what 'carbon' neutronium is, probably dosen't exist.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:IIRC neutronium is one of the densest things you can get. I have no idea what 'carbon' neutronium is, probably dosen't exist.
Neutronium is basically densly packed neutrons - a spoonful of the stuff weighs about a ton IIRC. However, we saw that the Jenolan gouged a trench in the surface of the sphere, so "carbon neutronium" can't be real neutronium. The guess that it's denser than uranium is based on the fact that starship hulls can be pierced by phasers and are "duranium", which is probably a new name for depleted uranium.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Neutronium is basically densly packed neutrons - a spoonful of the stuff weighs about a ton IIRC.
So, pretty dense, yeah? :D

IIRC you get neutronium from stars, correct?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:
Neutronium is basically densly packed neutrons - a spoonful of the stuff weighs about a ton IIRC.
So, pretty dense, yeah? :D

IIRC you get neutronium from stars, correct?
Yup - neutron stars. Really imaginitive name, huh? :)

EDIT:
Neutron star
Neutronium

From wiki.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It would say a lot about the technology available to any race which could get this stuff.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This is a holdover from the days when the site was html based... the mass was something like 10^26 tons... but the power of ten thing was lost when we converted to a database format. It should be an easy fix.

The mass I calculated used the surface area of the sphere multiplied by an estimated thickness which was based on looking at the airlock thickness. I took 'carbon neutronium' to have the same density as diamond... the idea was that c-n is a substance with the strength of neutronium but the density of carbon. Pure speculation on my part, but if you take that sphere to have neutronium density then the mass it would yield would be rather spectacular
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
N'tran DS 12
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by N'tran DS 12 »

My thought was the carbon in the carbon -neutronium is in the form of bucky-balls,
with a neutronium center.
Free neutrons, or neutronuim will decay {with a half-life of about 17 minutes} into a proton, an electron and an anti-neutrino.

Might be wrong about the half-life,

N'tran