Crap
No votes

Total votes: 4
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

DW 31x09: Cold Blood

Post by Captain Seafort »

Starts at 1900 BST. Let's hope it picks up from last week's slightly iffy quality.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Re: DW 31x09: Cold Blood

Post by colmquinn »

The end of the episode saved it for me - the first half was a bit meh (i knew they couldn't have peace, apes and reptiles just don't get along)
I'm sorry to see what happened to Rory I kinda liked him, a bit more confidence and experience and he would've been a good companion.
I had my suspicions that the crack was what it turned out to be.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That was distinctly "meh". The overall plot was pretty obvious from very early on and every major shift was telegraphed at least several minutes in advance. The entire scene around Rory's death was abysmal. Why didn't they pick him up and get him into the Tardis? The reasoning for Amy forgetting him was very badly handled - they'd have been much better of saying that it was because he was a time-travelling too, rather than the bullshit "he's part of your personal universe". The Doctor trying to get her to remember him was utter nonsense - she should have either remembered him or not, no "if you concentrate really hard" stupidity.

The only moderately interesting twist was the apparent explosion of the Tardis causing the cracks, and it might provide a decent explanation as to why they've been turning up near the ship. Unfortunately I can see this degenerating into a stupid "stop the explosion and everything fixes itself" season finale.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Rory's been having some shit luck lately, eh?

All in all, that was a spectacular meh. The Silurians were meh. The obvious death of the captive Silurian was meh. The blatantly telegraphed coup was meh. The escape from the Silurian city was meh. The characters were meh. Rory's death was meh. Amy forgetting him was meh.

So to sum this episode up - meh.

The only good bit was the reveal at the end that the TARDIS is going to go boom at some point. And WTF was with the over-dramatic voice-over from the Lizard King?

Like Seafort, I have a pretty horrible feeling that the series finale is going to be Amy and the Doctor stopping whatever happens and causing the giant reset button to be hit, bringing back Rory.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Along with Daleks.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Most probably.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Sionnach Glic wrote: Like Seafort, I have a pretty horrible feeling that the series finale is going to be Amy and the Doctor stopping whatever happens and causing the giant reset button to be hit, bringing back Rory.
Maybe Amy will defeat the crack by opening the engagement ring box and "remembering" Rory? :poke:
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ooh, well spotted. I'd forgotten that Rory had left the engagement ring in the TARDIS.

And maybe since it's in the TARDIS, it won't dissapear because of time-quantum.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Nutso wrote:Maybe Amy will defeat the crack by opening the engagement ring box and "remembering" Rory? :poke:
Well remembered - you're probably right. At the time I just thought it was a plot device to separate them and thought no more of it.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!