Wireless Router

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Wireless Router

Post by Tyyr »

Well my not so old, 2 years, router just bricked out. The cable hiccuped for a moment and apparently that was enough to zap the flash memory in it. I tried for two days to get the thing back but its a lump of inert plastic as far as my computer is concerned. So I need to get a new one.

The two I've been looking at are:
Linksys WRT160N and Linksys WRT54GL

The first is apparently great hardware but the software blows. Half the reviews seem to say to not even bother with trying to use it normally, just reflash it with DD-WRT and then use it. I'm not wild about buying something and immediately voiding the warranty but then again I do that with most of the computer hardware I buy anyways. The second is a bit cheaper and ok to go out of the box, but meant for a more advanced user which I am not. I'm fine mucking around and setting something like this up, especially since my asshole cable company tries their hardest to prevent you from home networking, but I have little real clue what I'm doing for the most part.

Probably the two most important criteria are that its fast and that it has good range. My computer and the router are in my office, at one end of an 1,800 square foot cinder block construction home and my wife wants to be able to use her laptop all the way in the bedroom at the other end of the house. The old router wasn't up to it, I want something that is and I'm willing to pay a bit more for it.

So, recommendations? Don't limit yourselves to those two routers I'm happy to listen to anything.
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Wireless Router

Post by Laughing Man »

Personal preference is go for the more technical device, the basic options will be the same. Then if you need to tweak something later the features will be there to figure out.
Heck Is Where People Go Who Don't Believe In Golly!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That was one thought I'd had, but with DD-WRT you can supposedly do a lot of things so I can reflash the 160 and do a lot of the fancy tricks the 54 can. Aside from that, I know jack all about networking. I'm highly unlikely to ever make any use of the more advanced features of the 54 right out of the box.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think the key is to take the one that you are sure that you're gonna be able to use. If one is a bit over complicated, don't gamble with it. play it safe would be my advice.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I got the WRT54GL, not based off any choice in terms of technology or features, but because I apparently had enough credit card points to get it for free. So far I've been happy with it. For the first time ever I had a wireless router actually install in 5 minutes. My internet provider tries to configure their modems to prevent you from networking them. Apparently they want to charge you per computer for internet access. Typically I have to run down a work around on-line then spend an hour or two rebooting the computer and resetting the modem until I get it tweaked enough to run. Needless to say it's usually a total PITA. This time however the software that came with the modem actually configured everything perfectly the first time.

So far I haven't tried DD-WRT, the router is working great. The wireless internet connection speed is up about 30% on average based off my utility which is a good thing considering how much time my wife spends viewing videos and pictures. The range is also noticeably improved as I can use my laptop all the way in our bedroom at the other end of the house without the connection being so slow or spotty that I really notice it.

I may try DD-WRT down the line, but right now the router is working very well and its under warranty. Until one of those things changes I won't screw around with its firmware.