Halo 1/2/3/ODST

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Halo 1/2/3/ODST

Post by Aaron »

OK, I'm looking at grabbing ODST in the near future and the first three Halo games. I'm curious to know if the story is involved enough that I would need to play the first three in order. For example I can find 3 reliably enough and on occasion 2 but I haven't seen 1 in a while. Is the story critical enough that I can play out of order and not miss things?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Halo 1/2/3/ODST

Post by Lighthawk »

Cpl Kendall wrote:OK, I'm looking at grabbing ODST in the near future and the first three Halo games. I'm curious to know if the story is involved enough that I would need to play the first three in order. For example I can find 3 reliably enough and on occasion 2 but I haven't seen 1 in a while. Is the story critical enough that I can play out of order and not miss things?
Eh, to a point. 1 is much more stand alone, 3 however continues the story of 2 directly, so I'd recomend playing those in order. If you don't play 1 first you'll miss a bit of backstory that might make some things make less sense, but not terribly so. The over all story arc isn't that complicated that you shouldn't be able to pick it up just playing 2 and 3.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I actualy played Halo 3 first, then worked my way backwards. You can pick up the plot easily enough, though you'll be left wondering what's going on and why person X is doing Y at times.

To be honest, I was never too impressed with the Halo franchise. I found it rather mediocre. The plot, backstory and the aliens themselves were all pretty cool, but the gameplay was nothing special.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Halo is mediocre, gameplay, technology, and story. The only reason its so highly regarded is that most console shooters SUCK.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's pretty much the way in which it was "innovative".

And I'd challenge even that. I remember having some damn good shooters on my old PS2.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

By console standards sure.

Even the best console shooters are rather pathetic when put against PC shooters.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Sionnach Glic wrote:That's pretty much the way in which it was "innovative".

And I'd challenge even that. I remember having some damn good shooters on my old PS2.
Man, Timesplittlers was one of the best games story wise I've played.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Damn right it was. It had some good combat in it as well.