Seniority

The Original Series
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Seniority

Post by DBS »

I have never heard about this, but there has to be some sort of seniority system in place in Starfleet. We know that by VGR the captain of the "most tactically effective" ship takes command in absence of a clear pecking order, but what about captains on the same ship, or while not aboard their ships but still in command situations?

An answer seems to me to be seniority. Basically, some captains are more equal than other captains (in CERTAIN situations) on the basis of when they achieved captaincy.

Consider, that in the later TOS movies, there are no less than three "captains of the Enterprise" at any one time. Count 'em! Kirk, Spock, and Scott! Unless there was a formal (as in legally established) pecking order, some staff meetings might have been interesting to say the least (no wonder there is not a single one in the TOS movies where they are all functioning legally as Starfleet officers!)

Any thoughts?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

Believe it or not, it's not unheard of for multiple officers on a ship to hold the rank Captain. I've heard it's quite common even in today's navies.

Of cuorse in those situations, the other officers who hold the rank Captain aren't actually line officers and therefore not in the ship's chain of command.
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I actually heard about the concept of seniority watching a Horatio Hornblower movie, and it kind of hit me that that might just apply (even if as a little-known, seldom used, arcane rule) to the Enterprise in TOS :)

That might also explain Scott's rank (and make Starfleet not ask what was up with three captains), since in ST III they talk about promoting him to "Captain of Engineering" on the Excelsior. So Scotty may not be a line officer, as you said (but he still seems to be third in command, at least according to the series).

But Spock was technically the Enterprise's captain as of ST II. So there is no way he wasn't a line officer. Ergo, there must be some sort of seniority for when Kirk is slapped back all the way to the center seat! :D

Not too relevant, I just thought it was neat.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

If I am not too much mistaken, the only person on a ship (in today's military) who is addressed as Captain is the CO. I even read that a Marine captain on a ship is referred to as something else. But I could be wrong. Any "Squids" here who could confirm or deny this? :)
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

Well according to DS9 (I forget which episode) whoever is in command of a Starship, regardless of rank, is referred to as Captain. So perhaps Captain does indeed only refer to the Commanding officer of a ship, and not any and all other people who hold that rank who happen to be on board.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

In trek and here who ever is commanding the ship is called captain regardless of rank. I suppose people in different positions would hold rank over others.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Not to contradict you (it doesn't) but sometimes in TOS movies Kirk addresses "Captain Spock", while addressing him as a subordinate. So even though it is traditional for the title to be given only to the CO, if another person has that rank, it seems to me that it still be used even if that captain is not in command.

I'd like to see an episode where the CO was called "Skipper" :P

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I believe that tradition states that only the CO is called "Captain". If a naval Captain is aboard in any other role they are called "Commodore", while an army Captain is called "Major". In other words they get bumped up a rank to avoid confusion.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

So that seems to be one tradition that is dropped at least in TOS. (Maybe it comes back, but the situation of multiple captains doesn't present itself much outside of TOS)

Maybe they decide that the conflicting traditions get too confusing and sometime between TOS and VOY they alter the regulation either to the way it was or to something new? It seems, for example, that by TNG it is not possible to become a captain at all without a command. Riker is even given a field promotion in BoBW, but loses it when Picard is rescued. Also, he is offered several ships, but doesn't actually receive the promotion until he takes command of the Titan.

Reasonable enough, especially when you consider that captain Spock WAS in command of the Enterprise just before ST:II. But what about Scotty?

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think it could also change ship to ship.

I can imagin people saying "Don't bother calling Captain"

I could just be personal preference.

That explains away the slight contradictions we see every so often and from family in the military I know it does sometimes happen. They only use Formal titles in formal situations.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It does seem possible (at least in the TOS/movie era) to acheive the rank of captain without the position of captain - i.e., starship command. In this situation, it seems most reasonable that any captains other than the CO would only be addressed as "sir" or with their name following mention of rank; for example, Scotty after making the rank of captain (but before getting command of the Jenolen) could be addressed as "Captain Scott," but not as "Captain."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

In the real life military the default is who's been serving longer (For the Army anyway) but special orders can change that.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

AFAIK those "special orders" would involve bestowing temporay or local rank, which would mean one individual simply outranking another, rather than relying on systems to determine precidence among individuals of the same rank.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

There are a number of instances of an individual (read: Picard) assuming command which is customarily outside his rank - that is, taking command of a fleet or task force when his position is that of captaincy of ONE starship; c.f. ST First Contact, et. al.

Does anyone know of any on-screen evidence of a system or regulation which would lend "official" credence to these assumptions of command - or even any evidence that he was the most senior officer on the scene?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I don't know of any on screen evidence, but it matches perfectly with the Napoleonic Royal Navy's definition of a Commodore. At the time, promotion to Admiral was strictly based on a Captain's seniority - you kept moving up the list as your seniors either died or were promoted, until you got to the top, whereupon you got your flag. The problem with this was that Captains perfectly capable of commanding a fleet were not promoted because they had people above them on the list. The solution was to appoint them Commodore - a temporary position that allowed the navy to give command to the most deserving characters, without messing up the system of seniority. A Commodore would be given command of a number of ships for a given mission, and revert back to Captain once that mission was completed.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.