George Takei calls for Star Wars and Star Trek fans to unite

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

George Takei calls for Star Wars and Star Trek fans to unite

Post by colmquinn »

Against Twilight.....
It is a decades-long feud that has divided sci-fi fans for as long as the Millenium Falcon first fired up its thrusters and flashed across cinema screens, providing an alternative lure to the attractions of the USS Enterprise and its bold crew.

But after simmering tensions between the Star Trek and Star Wars communities broke into open hostilities involving two of the franchises' most iconic stars, an appeal has been made by George Takei (aka Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu from the helm of the Enterprise) for a ceasefire in the face of a mutual foe: The Twilight franchise.

"Fellow star folks. Cool it down, and shut your big worm holes," said Takei in a video message posted online following the outbreak of a war of words between William Shatner, who played Captain James T Kirk in the original Star Trek Series, and Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy.

"Each is wonderful in its own special way so if you don't knock it off you will soon start seeing images like this one on the net," said Takei, referring to an image of Fisher in the grasp of Shatner, who was mocked up to look like the Star Wars character, Jabba the Hutt.

The initial salvo had been fired last month by Shatner, who claimed that Star Wars was derivative of Star Trek, prompting Fisher to challenge him to a "costume-off", with her appearing in the metal bikini she wore in Return of the Jedi.

"And my space buns - they're so much better than [Leonard] Nimoy's ears," she added.

Stepping into galactic peace broker mode, Takei warned : "What is needed today now more than ever is star peace, for there is an ominous mutual threat to all science fiction."

"It's called Twilight, and it is really really bad."

The actor, who provided the voice of Lok Durd in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, making him the sole cast member from the original Star Trek series to also have a role in the Star Wars franchise, went on: "Gone is any sense of heroism, camaraderie, or epic battle. In its place, we have vampires that sparkle, and moan, and go to high school".

"Now I am not above mixing in a little sex appeal to spice up the fantasy," he added, his words accompanied by the appearance of images of a topless young Mr Sulu and Robert Pattinson, the star of Twilight.

"But sci-fi fans be warned. There are no great stories, characters or profound life lessons to be had in Twilight. No, in Twilight, the only message that rings through loud and clear is 'Does my boyfriend like me?'"

"Let us band together to combat this mutual threat. On my part, I have written to some friends hoping they can help us rid the world of this vampire menace. Buffy, Blade, it's up to you now," said Takei, as images flashed up showing the two named fictional vampire killers.

"So Starfriends, let us live and let live, long and prosperously, and may the force be with you always."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/ ... k-twilight
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: George Takei calls for Star Wars and Star Trek fans to u

Post by IanKennedy »

Don't forget Star Gate. Unite against the common enemy "Twi-lite".
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

We must ALL unite against the common enemy - the Judean People's Front!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

He voiced Master Yoketron in Transformers: Animated. We have a third ally against the twipires!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

"Starfriends" I don't want to be called that.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I'm stealing that.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Atekimogus wrote:Image
So, so true.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Is there a battle plan?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Is there a battle plan?
I think 'nuke from orbit' is the best way. ;)

Or... point out the hideous flaws in logic, writing, grammar, plain fuck-ups in geography - like and island WEST of Brazil - and how even one-shot characters from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic are deeper than Edward, Bella, and Jacob combined, how shallow and wish-fulfilling the books are, the horrific anti-climax and how badly thought-out the twipires are.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Sure there are islands west of Brazil........just not immediately west of Brazil....... :roll:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Teaos wrote:Is there a battle plan?
I think 'nuke from orbit' is the best way. ;)
Overkill - just get the UV squad onto them with thermite UGL rounds. Problem solved.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Vic wrote:Sure there are islands west of Brazil........just not immediately west of Brazil....... :roll:
Could have been worse - she could have said they were south of the Amundsen-Scott base.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I doubt she knows what Amundsen-Scott base is.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Griffin wrote:I doubt she knows what Amundsen-Scott base is.
True, but she obviously doesn't know much about Brazil either, and that hasn't stopped her from referring to its geography.