Android 2.2 HTC Incredible 2

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Android 2.2 HTC Incredible 2

Post by Nickswitz »

just got my new phone, HTC Incredible 2 and its running Android 2.2. its wonderful, I love it, but to all you current users of Android, what are the best tips you have about Android, best apps and tweak, any sort of things that might help out. This is the first time I've ever used an Android phone for an extended period of time and would love some info on it, more so than what I can find really quickly online, I'm being lazy today...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Android 2.2 HTC Incredible 2

Post by Reliant121 »

Rule number 1: Task killer task killer task killer.

You absolutely, without any shadow of doubt, MUST have a task killer. I have so far found system Panel lite to be the best for a number of reasons. First and foremost, its a single try killer. Most task killers when you ask for it to end certain tasks will use up more RAM or CPU power continuously trying to shut the app down. If it works, great; if it doesn't it will keep on using power to try and shut it down. System panel is a single try system. Plus you can exclude things you dont want killed by the useful widget.

Rule number 2: Alternatives to everything

With Android, a lot more so than other OS for sure, there is an alternative to everything. The text message app for example. Theres the default which is functional and simple. But there are Handcent and ChompSMS which do the same thing but arguably prettier and more functionally. MSN programs. I use Ebuddy but there are a multitude of alternatives. browsers, theres TONNES. The HTC tweaked browser is great, but sometimes you might prefer Dolphin HD or (my favourit 3rd party) Opera MOBILE.

Rule Number 3: Experiment. With an android phone, just about everything is open. So experiment, download, reset, sync music, delete music, use the camera, find alternative apps. An iPhone is brilliant because it does it all for you and does it pretty damn well. But, lets be fair, your more of a technically minded guy. So you are the perfect android user. Play around with it and experiment.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Currently I'm using FireFox 4 as my web browser, which I love using, its wonderful, its as fast as the desktop version of it, and doesn't seem to have any real problems. I love the tabbed browsing and the way it implements it. One thing that sometimes gets me is the keyboard, although wonderfully responsive as a touch keyboard, its placement is weird compared to the iPod touch I'm used to using.
Thanks reliant, I'll definitely look for a different SMS client just to see how they work.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I personally find the HTC keyboard a distinct improvement over the iOS one but its what you get used to. There are lots of alternatives on the market. I tried Firefox 4 but wasn't overly enamoured. It depends a lot on your network connection. You probably have better wifi and arguably better mobile speeds since you've got the 4G/LTE network over there (I think).
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Also, how the heck do you move an app over to the SD card, I have a 16GB that came with the phone, I just want it to actually be useful, since I probably will never put music on here, I have my ipod for that.

We have really good WiFi pretty much all over the house, and although I don't have 4G on this phone, its too early and too power consuming for me to feel comfortable to adopt right now, maybe next upgrade of my phone I'll get in 2 years or so, but not until then at the earliest.

Also is it possible to change what is the dominant SMS client, since I really like handcent, and would like to have only those notifications come through, not both.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

App2SD: Go to settings>Applications>Manage applications. Find the app you want to transfer and click on it. If it supports it (not all) then you can see a big button to say "move to SD" or something similar. Its almost impossible to exhaust the onboard storage unless you get an inordinate number of apps, I never have.

As for the default, for SMS client there isnt a default as such. All you need do is go into the default app (messages on htc's)> press the "menu button" and go into settings. Right at the top (on the worldwide release anyway) there is a received notification toggle. Toggle it off. That way, you will only get SMS notifications. Next time you go into a contact and select "send message" it will ask you to define a default. by which point, just select Handcent.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Thank you very much Reliant, I don't know how much I'll even use my iPod having this, it'll be for music and some games, mostly because I don't want to add a debit card to it, because it'll be much easier for me to buy things on impulse, which isn't good, which I love that there is no need to apply a credit card if your downloading free applications.
The world ended