Non-carbon based life forms?

Everything else
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Non-carbon based life forms?

Post by Monroe »

Okay I know why we're carbon based because of biology class. Carbon's 6 electrons make it easy to form bonds with other atoms and make up hydrocarbates and all that fun jazz I don't know enough about.

But are there any atom that has similiar qualities to carbon that coudl be used? We've all heard of Silicon based life forms, that even a possibility? Also what besides water could be used you guys think to carry out homeostasis?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Silicon is possible to be the base of life becuase it is very similar to Carbon. The only real reason we are carbon instead of silicon is because it is more abundent.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As far as a substitute for water, I don't know. Water is unique in its physical properties such as reaction to temperature, as well as it being a nearly-universal solvent. The closest compound I can think of to water is hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), yet peroxide doesn't possess the wide range of solvency that water does - it has a much less reactive molecule.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I'm no biologist or chemist, but all life is carbon based under our definition of life, and all carbon based life form requires water.

Of course there's also strange theories that everything is alive. Just go and look at a rock, then someone tells you its alive, you say no its not. They say prove it. How can you? Because it doesn't have arms or legs. Think about consciousness or sentience, what actually is it that makes us aware? Electrons and circuits and signals - matter and energy, why can't all matter and energy allow self-awareness? Is there an exact boundry where something becomes self aware due to a certain arrangement of matter? Very strange to think about, like trying to decipher infinity :wink:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Other guys mostly hit the nail on the head with most of the questions, so I'll just chime in about the replacement for water.
It would be possible for a race to evolve on something other than water, the reasons we have water in us is because of its properties. For a race to evolve on something else, it would need to be mostly similar to water.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Did anyone ever see, a documentary on national geographic, a few years ago, its name eludes me, on what silicon-based life, may look like?
Ok, its conjecture, but was fascinating.
Pre my biology degree, which was as much use as a chocolate teapot, we learnt the acronym; 'Mr Grens', that defined life as: movement, respiration, growth,reproduction, excretion, nutrition, and sense.
Although obviously its a super crude way of looking at things, and filled with swiss cheese holes.
Does anyone know anything about Gaia theory,something about a living earth? I have no idea
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Granitehewer wrote:'Mr Grens', that defined life as: movement, respiration, growth,reproduction, excretion, nutrition, and sense.
I learnt it as 'Mrs Gren'.

:lol:
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

lol we actually learnt a rather rude, song, as a memory aid, but forgotten, how it went, shamefully
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Granitehewer wrote: Does anyone know anything about Gaia theory,something about a living earth? I have no idea
I've heard about it but I'm not up on what it's all about. Something about viewing the Earth as a living organism.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

the only 'Gaia' i know was based on watching 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within' lol
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As far as I know, which may not be far at all, the Gaia hypothesis - or more correctly, belief - is a quasi-reiligious stance based on the interconnectedness of the entire Earth - not just the ecosphere - in the sum total of life. Obviously, we all agree on the common-sense stuff, like pollution is bad for living things; from what I've been able to tell, the Gaia viewpoint goes beyond that, to include almost Shinto-esque beliefs (as in kami.) It may or may not also go on to include such things as ley lines, feng shui, and other forms of geomancy.

BTW, Gaia was a titan of Hellenic mythology involved in fertility, agriculture, the Earth, etc. - sometimes known as 'the Earth Mother' and identified slightly, much later on, with the Roman Cybele cult.[/i]
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

d'oh, i thought gaia was a fate, feel a bit of a wally now
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Not at all - I did papers upon papers about comparative mythology in high school.
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Kamis i can do, but cheated.........(i play magic the gathering)
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I already knew that Gaia was a Titan thanks to the game "Age of Mythology" :wink: