How to start B5

DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

How to start B5

Post by DBS »

Hey all, I am very interested in getting into Babylon 5, and wondering where the best place to start would be.

Do you think I should start with the pilot, then basically go through things in order (each season in order, then movies in order)?

Or should I find out which chronologically happens first (I think the movie showing the Human-Minbari war?) and start through it in that manner?

Or is there a better way yet?

Thanks!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Ooh, that is great!

Thanks!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good site, I only recently got into B5 so that will probably halp a bit.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

If you're just starting out, I recommend starting with The Gathering.

In the Beginning, which covers the Earth-Minbari War, answers why the war ended the way it did. A question that is asked frequently asked during the first season of the show before being answered in the Season 2 pilot.

It's also fitting to watch In the Beginning just before the very last episode because the Minbari War story is framed by one of the characters telling the events as a story to a couple of children.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

No problem! Anything I can do to help potential B5 fans. :)
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Sothar
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Sothar »

Here is the way I would personally recommend watching B5. It's pretty much the order in which it was made but not exactly.

-The Gathering (series pilot)
-B5 Season 1
-B5 Season 2
-B5 Season 3
-B5 Season 4
-Here, you could watch In the Beginning and Thirdspace. Thirdspace happens during season 4. In the Beginning contains spoilers up to this point in the story so I would recommend waiting until this point for maximum appreciation of both the series and the movie.
-B5 Season 5 (except perhaps Sleeping in Light, the final episode)
-River of Souls
-Legend of the Rangers
-A call to Arms
-Crusade (All 13 episodes in the order on the DVDs. There are a few inconsistencies for production reasons but sorting out the episodes would be too much trouble for the difference it makes)
-The Lost Tales (when it comes out at the end of the month.)
-Sleeping in Light, the final episode of B5

I have obviously not seen The Lost Tales yet but it will be chronologically set about 5 or 6 years after the beginning of Crusade.

If you watch Sleeping in Light with season 5 (which is also a nice way) and would finish with Crusade, I recommend you watch Legend of the Rangers after Crusade even if it happens before. You see, Crussade was cancelled and doesn't have an ending; it's not a very interesting way to finish. Legent of the Rangers, while not the best B5 movie has a nice touch to it's ending.

Obviously, the very best way to appreciate all the details and intricacies of B5 is to watch all of it in this order and then re-watch it all again to see all you missed but I'm not enough of a geek to do that *whistles inocently*
Let's see what's out there...
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

i just finished watching b5 (save for lost tales of course). its too bad crusade didn't make it into a complete new series -- it ends just when things are about to get interesting...

i have to agree with the not bothering to reorder the crusade episodes for viewing though -- its a lot of work for not a lot of benefit as there are still continuity errors even with JMS' prefered order.

i'd also suggest reading the unanswered questions on Lurker's Guide to get the most out of each episode if you have time (http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/eplist.html). well...only if you are a nut like me, maybe.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

That is too bad, especially when you hear what JMS had planned for the later seasons. :(
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh do tell, what did he have planned?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

In one of the commentaries, I think it was one of the commentaries... Anyway...

The search for the cure would only last for two seasons. Then, Gideon and crew would uncover a plot involving Earth/Shadow hybrids. And, they would essentially become renegades on their own ship.

That's all that I remember. That and the character conflicts/evolutions. A rift would form between Gideon and Galen toward the end of the first season.

:)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

How come it got canceled?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

just from hearsay, i believe it got cancelled without airing because of differences between the producers and TNT. it was party due to people who watched babylon 5 don't watch anything else on TNT and vice versa or something like that. i think they eventually aired the 13 completed episodes but it was all out of order and nobody ended up picking it up.

its too bad. i was really looking forward to finding out what happened between B5 and crusade (telepath war, etc.)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I know JMS complained of massive interference from the suits at the network. For instance, it reached a point where execs were complaining that a scene had characters walk from one room to another, and this might confuse the viewers.

They also wanted Dureena to be a super-sexy woman who explored other cultures by having sex with every species she met.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:raygun1:

Argh! Goddamned execs!
Why can they never leave things alone!