Tholian Heavy Cruiser

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tholian Heavy Cruiser

Post by DarkOmen »

As requested by Teaos, I made a modern Tholian starship. All I had to base design on was the little tiny fighters seen in Enterprise and TOS. Considering this is 100 years after the fact, and a much larger vessel, I had a lot of room to play with. Kept it mostly a geometric design. The weapons and propulsion system I pretty much had to come up with on my own. Let me know what ya think!! :D

Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

Lies. Tholians are years ahead, not behind. Nice ship though.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

I said that because the E-Nil fended off the tholian warship very very easily.

meh... i dont think we really have proof either way, so i went out on a limb.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

similar but better to a minimodelmadness.com one
i think its fair to say, that the constitution class is a different class of vessel to the tholian webspinner :P
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I always assumed they were behind us in tech. The fact we dont consider them a major threat would indicate that also.

The only thing that doesnt agree with that is non canon backgroud.

Omen that ship is great. The idea of seperation and using it to increase web spin is epic. The fact that they are more immune to torpedoes makes them much more of a threat to us. I dear say we will need our fighters.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Wouldn't the webspinner be a frigate,at best?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It the smae size as the Akira which is a cruiser. It is wel armed and decent armor. That makes it a cruiser.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

The TOS webspinner (75m according to DITL) is not the same size as a cruiser, thats what i was talking about :P
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh right. Well maybe the ones on the cruiser are smaller. But yeah the ones in TOS would be a bit large for fighter.

Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Looks amazing, the only thing I'm not too sure at is it's maximum speed. Considering the Tholians are behind the Federation in technology (as has been said, they're never considered a threat), and the ship is really a warship, it's pretty damned fast.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It's about the same speed as us which is good. If they were a lot slower or faster if would take away the drama of battle if we could just run. It does seem odd but for dramatic license I like that it is the same speed as us.

Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote:It's about the same speed as us which is good. If they were a lot slower or faster if would take away the drama of battle if we could just run. It does seem odd but for dramatic license I like that it is the same speed as us.
It's not quite the same speed, it's quite a bit faster. Remember that after warp nine the speed increases at a rate of e^x (exponentially), so while 0.11 of a warp may not be much at lower warps, after warp 9 its quite a dramatic increase. In fact, it's nearly double (our maximum of 9.84 being 2500c, and theirs of 9.95 being 4200c).
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Didnt realise it was that much. Didn't we increase our top speed in the refit?

Even so its more fun to have them be faster and run us down.

Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote:Didnt realise it was that much. Didn't we increase our top speed in the refit?
Yes, but the Akira never was that fast to begin with.

I suppose we could handle this (at least close them down in speed terms) by having some engineering modifications. :wink:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

This conclusion of "Tholians aren't a threat, therefore have lower technology" isn't necessarily true. There could be many reasons for the lack of a threat posed - lack of industrial capacity being the most likely one. We know that the Klingons are considerably less sophisticated, since the Feds' AMCs can beat purpose-built Klingon warships, but we also know that a war starting in the mid-2340s can lead to a complete Fed defeat by the mid-2360s. The reverse could be true of the Tholians - they may be technologically more sophisticated than the Feds (they certainly are in some areas - the Feds have never demonstrated anything like the webspinner technology) but have a much smaller industrial base, rendering them a minor threat.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.