Thoughts On Remastered TOS?

The Original Series
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Thoughts On Remastered TOS?

Post by The Wormhole »

So what do we all think of TOSR around here? I have to say I haven't been too impressed. The arguments for and against remastering the episodes can go on for a long time, but I will say that based on what I've actually seen of the remastered episodes hasn't been too spectacular. Alot of the changes seem pretty minor and unnecessary. Although I am thankful that they aren't changing things on the scale of the Star Wars Special Editions. I once made a joke that when Trouble With Tribbles got remastered they should have had Korax throw the first punch.

The CGI they use isn't the greated, I've seen better in Voyager and Enterprise. Although it does seem to get better as each episode goes by. Really, the only remastered episode I was impressed with was The Corbomite Maneuver. CGI Fesarius looked really nice. Howver I did miss the remastered Doomsday Machine, which managed to blow away a friend of mine who was skeptical of this whole thing.

So what are your thoughts on remastered episodes of TOS? Any particular favourite remastered episodes? Or are there any which you extremely dislike?
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
esw01407
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by esw01407 »

From what of the few I've seen, I have to disagree about the CGI. I think its just enough to be appropriate, and not overkill like some of the early DS9/VOY episodes. I really do have to watch this series more to catch back up.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Does anyone know when the DVD's will be out in the UK, or if anyone will be showing them here?
email, ergo spam
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Does anyone know when the DVD's will be out in the UK, or if anyone will be showing them here?
I think they're showing them on the Scif-Fi channel, not too sure though.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

They no longer show them in my area on a channel that I get, which REALLY flames me. I was enjoying them. :x
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

I never know when they're on. But from what I've seen, I'm not terribly impressed.
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

TOS is only on in Canada at 2 in the afternoon or something like that, so I rarely get to see any of them. I haven't been too impressed, but I can't maul them much either.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the remastered episodes are OK, not great but still good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

There are a few really impressive shots, and in general the colors were cleaned up very well. But I believe the CGI in some spots is a bit too unreal. For instance, many times when the Enterprise flies by, I think "Oooh cartoons!" It's like they replaced one fake looking model with another.

That being said, I appreciate the different angles we see, the details added to a lot of the alien ships, etc. If I were to rate it on a basic scale, I'd give it thumbs slightly up.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, its nice they put in some new ships we didn't get to see.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say with any sort of solidity. But when they re-mastered the special effects for TMP, the director specifically stated that they didn't do anything that was impossible at the time.

Maybe they carried that ethic into the re-mastered series? I could see them trying to make the Enterprise CGI model as close to the original as possible, so that they could use old exterior footage if there wasn't anything else to do with a given scene. Just speculation, admittedly. But that might explain the "cartoony" look of the Enterprise.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

I think most of what was done in the remastered versions of TOS and even TMP is well beyond what they had to work with at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not such a purist that I never want anything to change, but I just don't think the remastered parts add too much to the show. But that's my opinion.
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've seen a few of these. I find them pretty good; they've been very careful about what to fix and what to leave alone.

I like that they have fixed some little things; remember how phasers fired beams sometimes and just made the screen go green sometimes? They now fire beams consistently. Stuff like that they could have done originally, but they just didn't have the time or money.

And more ships. We get to see the Orion ship instead of a coloured blob. We get to see the Gorn ship. And they haven't made a big deal of these things, mostly you just see the ship as a small little thing on the viewscreen - not many big beauty passes. But it just makes the universe look a bit more rounded out.

They've jazzed up the planets the Enterprise visits; planets that aren't just a re-use of last week's. Planets with rings, with clouds and weather.

Like I say, my overall impression is that the new stuff doesn't greatly jar. For the most part it looks like TOS done with the same kind of effects it had, but like they had a lot more time and a lot more money to spend on it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mostly it seems they just added in some detail, some new ships, touched up the planets and such. GK pretty much hit it on the head there.
The_Chief
Crewman
Crewman

Post by The_Chief »

I actually enjoy watching the remastered episodes. Apart from the SFX, what really grabs me is the improvement over the original soundracks. Sometimes the music on the show can be quite garish and loud, but it sounds like they've toned it down a bit, which to me, makes it sound a lot nicer. The improved image quality is a plus, also. Overall, I think it was pretty unnecessary, but at least they're trying to deliver something (sort of) new to all of us loyal fans!
What am I? A surgeon or a moon shuttle conductor?