The potential for refits

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

The potential for refits

Post by Granitehewer »

hi everyone,
despite the fact that it looks like 'hey arnold!' or a hydrocephalus baby, i really like the galaxy class especially in the dominion war, and judging by the numbers seen, including in several episodes of 'voyager' whether under construction at utopia planetia in 'relativity' or mobile in 'endgame' and 'pathfinder', there seem to be quite a few despite the introduction and refits of the sovereign class.
I don't know whether this is a case of managing resources and exploiting available infrastructure or not, but does anyone else here think that the galaxy class has the capacity to be refit as a good 'competitor' for the sovereign class?
Ps sorry if my typing is even worse than usual but am preoccupied with a familial hospitalisation so have come along to bug people with my little queries and become thoroughly distracted.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The potential for refits

Post by Mikey »

Hope we can help with the distraction factor.

Anyway - competitor for the Sov? I don't think so, as the Sov was designed for combat from the ground up. Turrets, etc., can't be refit so easily onto a vessel not designed to take them. In addition, maneuverability would be hard to add - any refit would add, or at least swap, mass rather than reduce it.

That said, the GCS has a massive spaceframe and huge amounts of space, especially if we consider that we are free to claim as space all the civilian amenities. It could certainly be refit into a formidable ship - just not one that serves teh exact same purpose as the Sov, IMHO.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Granitehewer wrote:hi everyone,
despite the fact that it looks like 'hey arnold!' or a hydrocephalus baby, i really like the galaxy class especially in the dominion war, and judging by the numbers seen, including in several episodes of 'voyager' whether under construction at utopia planetia in 'relativity' or mobile in 'endgame' and 'pathfinder', there seem to be quite a few despite the introduction and refits of the sovereign class.
I don't know whether this is a case of managing resources and exploiting available infrastructure or not, but does anyone else here think that the galaxy class has the capacity to be refit as a good 'competitor' for the sovereign class?
Ps sorry if my typing is even worse than usual but am preoccupied with a familial hospitalisation so have come along to bug people with my little queries and become thoroughly distracted.
Well, the GCS is big and surely has the capacity to support powerful systems of all kinds. As a recent design, she should be relatively adaptable to newer technologies. The biggest problems would stem from the infamous instability of the class. As to why there are so many of them, it could just be that by then there were more shipyards/lots adapted to constructing the GCS spaceframe than the newer Sov (besides OOU reasons...)

And, agree with Mikey that it can become formidable, but no match for the Sov.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I reckon the GCS is perfect for the basis for a long range bombardment ship. Its too slow and heavy to be much use as a "Advanced Deterrent cruiser" or whatever the hell the Sovereign is. The GCS has a fucking huge mass to fit heavy weapons in. Upgrade the torp capacity, maybe rebuild the phaser system and shielding.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Wasn't there one part of the description where 1/3 of the GCS frame was left empty for future refits? Can you say cargo, hospital, or shuttle/fighter storage? It might not be able to launch fighters as fast as a dedicated carrier, but the ability to carry several dozen would be useful. Hospital abillity would be nice, where wounded from other ships can be beamed over to the full sickbay on board, and munitions/supplies/repair materials can be beamed back.

It might not be as tough as a Sovereign, but the Galaxy's 4.96 million ton hull (from DITL) compared to the Sovereign's 3.5 million ton hull would still be useful. Also, since it is an existing design, plus the testing from Enterprise and others, means that the bugs have likely been worked out and the Shipyards know what to build. Similar to XP and Vista today, were XP has about almost a decade of work, while Vista is having teething problems, and needs more resources just to run.

So a Sovereign might be better 1:1 compared to a Galaxy, but it is still undergoing shakedown, few yards know how to build it, and requires more advanced materials for construction. Galaxies are a known design, have had real-world experience, and the yards can easily expand.

Figure Sovereigns as long-range battleships, while Galaxies are well-protected carriers, in terms of combat function. The Sovereign can engage an enemy quite well by itself, while Galaxies are at their best supporting other ships, and providing long-range torpedo fire and fighter capacity. Both have their uses in combat.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Coalition wrote:Wasn't there one part of the description where 1/3 of the GCS frame was left empty for future refits? Can you say cargo, hospital, or shuttle/fighter storage? It might not be able to launch fighters as fast as a dedicated carrier, but the ability to carry several dozen would be useful. Hospital abillity would be nice, where wounded from other ships can be beamed over to the full sickbay on board, and munitions/supplies/repair materials can be beamed back.
It's important to note that we really have no idea where the unfinished 1/3 is in the vessel. So while the thought of a fighter swarm streaming out of the main shuttlebay is appealing, we have no idea if it's possible. If there isn't any available space, essentially right next to the bay then you won't get much without a significant reworking of the vessel. Really I see the most likely use for the space being extra cargo room, quarters or labs. Even an extra sickbay would require things that may not even be possible, depending on how and what the spaces have available. For example are they just an empty room, are they plumbed for power, water, heat etc.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

hate to state the obvous but of course it can and "will" be refit, we saw the Galaxy-refit in TNG. I say "will" b/c there's a possability that time line won't occur now. but no I don't think the GCS will ever be a compeditor to the Sovereign. It'd make a good frigate, but not a Battle Cruiser.

PS. Who's running Rochey distraction so he doesn't find this thread and kill the poor man. :mrgreen:
jk
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Yes, any ship can be refitted. It is just a question to what extent it can be.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

well, the obvous part that I was trying to get at was the fact that we'd seen a canon version of the GCS refitted, not that it could be.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

PS. Who's running Rochey distraction so he doesn't find this thread and kill the poor man.
Hey, I'm all for refitting the GCS. Maybe we can beat the design into something sensible.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lt. Staplic wrote:well, the obvous part that I was trying to get at was the fact that we'd seen a canon version of the GCS refitted, not that it could be.
We saw something that might be a future refit of the GCS, or which might simply be part of a simulation rigged up by Q.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

You could always chop of the nacelles and rip out the impulse engines to make a static defense platform.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:well, the obvous part that I was trying to get at was the fact that we'd seen a canon version of the GCS refitted, not that it could be.
We saw something that might be a future refit of the GCS, or which might simply be part of a simulation rigged up by Q.
I mentioned something like that.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

You mentioned the AGT E-D - my point was that we don't know whether that was just part of an illusion created by Q.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point. We're not sure if that'll ever come to pass.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"