Powered Armour

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Powered Armour

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Put here because putting this thing under "Uniforms" just seemed silly given how big it turned out. This is the first pass... additional detailing and other colour schemes, etc, are likely to follow.

The Maximillian class Combat Armoured Trooper suit is the heaviest deployed by the Coalition's Paratoop force. Standing 5.94 metres tall the suit has a basic combat loaded weight of 8.8 metric tons when fitted with the standard armament of two heavy and two light weapons. Additional armour can bit applied - a suit of armour for a suit of armour, essentially - but this adds several tons to the design and increases the ground pressure beyond an acceptable level, requiring the antigrav unit to be run constantly to offset the increase. This has a negative effect on both range/endurance, jump/hover/flight capability, and most especially on stealth.

The design of the Maximillian is relatively conventional, with the single operator in the chest unit. Sensor, communication and computer systems are located above the cockpit, providing the operator with a 3D immersive view of the surroundings in day or night, in almost any environment. The arms and legs are conventionally arranged. A variety of arms can be attached, including heavy weapons such as plasma cannon, a Graser cannon, a missile pack, a flamethrower, or a 40 mm field cannon with 92 shells of various kinds, including micro-nuke, M/AM and nanological. Two more weapon hardpoints are located on the shoulders for light weapons; usually a pair of triple barreled laser cannon are mounted here. Beneath the cockpit is a modular housing containing the fusion reactor and fuel tanks.

Even without forcefield protection, the Maximillian is capable of operating in almost any environment; they have been used on planets ranging from near absolute zero to 600 K, in pressures exceeding those found kilometres under the ocean. They have waded through liquid Hydrogen and lava for extended periods without harm. They are the big hitters of the Coalition ground forces; the only way to inflict more damage than a Maximillian can is with orbital bombardments from ship-scale weaponry.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Powered Armour

Post by Mikey »

"Maximilian armor" - I love it! (That was a reference to the style of plate armor named for Emperor Maximilian I, right?)

Anyway, it's bigger than I thought - or are there other varieties for different situations? And what kind of interface does the pilot use?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:"Maximilian armor" - I love it! (That was a reference to the style of plate armor named for Emperor Maximilian I, right?)
Actually no. It's named for the robot from the movie The Black Hole, who was an inspiration for the design.

Anyway, it's bigger than I thought - or are there other varieties for different situations? And what kind of interface does the pilot use?
It's rather bigger than I expected, too. There were originally going to be two sizes, one which was an Iron Man style suit that just covered the body, and one that was about 10 or 12 feet tall. This just worked out rather larger than intended. I'm working on the exoskeleton version; I'll think about whether to do a midsize version after it's done.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Since you said there was an immersive sensor environment, I imagine it's got something more than a yoke or a wheel to pilot it with.

Forgot about the robot - I was referring to this. Because of the high amount of carbon and vanadium in the steel, and the (originally cosmetic) fluting, the armor was far superior to other contemporary styles. Coincidental that the name should come into play.

And what use are lasers when you have the type of 40mm warheads and plasma cannon that you describe? Are they anti-infantry weapons?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Eh, I'm not a great fan of this I'm afraid. That's not power armour - it's mecha, and anything mecha can do, a tank can do ten times better.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Since you said there was an immersive sensor environment, I imagine it's got something more than a yoke or a wheel to pilot it with.
Yeah, a joystick :)

Actually I am thinking either a body suit which monitors your muscles movements and recreates them in the armour, or a direct neural connection.
Forgot about the robot - I was referring to this. Because of the high amount of carbon and vanadium in the steel, and the (originally cosmetic) fluting, the armor was far superior to other contemporary styles. Coincidental that the name should come into play.
Cool. Armour is a fascinating subject that I don't really know too much about. Thanks for the linkie. :)
And what use are lasers when you have the type of 40mm warheads and plasma cannon that you describe? Are they anti-infantry weapons?
Exactly so. Very rapid fire laser pulses - hundreds per second from each of the guns, so you can just blaze away and blanket a large area.

The 40 mm micronuke rounds would have about a quarter of a kilo of plutonium wrapped in a high tech explosive; explosive yield is 2 kilotons (and yes that much plutonium does fit into that size round, and that yield is comfortably conservative for a plutonium fission reaction.) As you can imagine, having each member of a squad armed with a couple of hundred of those is a good recipe for breaking things and hurting people. Better still with a M/AM round, which is around ten times more powerful still.

Such a battle would be horribly destructive, but infantry widely dispersed and dug in, in armour and survival gear of their own, would have a good chance of surviving such explosions unless they were pretty close to them. Hence the fitting of anti infantry weapons.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Eh, I'm not a great fan of this I'm afraid. That's not power armour - it's mecha, and anything mecha can do, a tank can do ten times better.
I bet they don't jump better... :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah!

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think for the roll of a tank this looks like it fits well. You might want to make the 'feet' more sturdy. I was thinking something akin to the feet of an AT-AT. The feet that its got now look very fragile.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Monroe wrote:I think for the roll of a tank this looks like it fits well. You might want to make the 'feet' more sturdy. I was thinking something akin to the feet of an AT-AT. The feet that its got now look very fragile.
I'm a bit concerned with the feet being too big. Big enough and you won't be able to walk on rough ground well, too small and the ground pressure is too high. As it is the ground pressure as normal weight is equal to a main battle tank. But I haven't detailed the feet fully; I need to think about them.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Monroe wrote:I think for the roll of a tank this looks like it fits well.
No it doesn't. It looks pretty cool, no doubt about it, but as a practical weapon of war it suffers from the same problems as all mecha - far too tall and far too complex.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Reworked the feet. The increase in area significantly lowers the ground pressure, which is nice.

A few Camo Schemes : Desert :

Arctic :

Temperate :

With additional armour plates added :

MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

pretty sweet, and properly designed.

I'm surprised there aren't some more anti-personell weapons onboard though, it seems to be more designed for engaging enemy armor/mecha
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I don't really want to load it with half a dozen different weapons systems; there's only one operator in there after all.

The weapons it carries are not fixed in place; both arm and shoulder weapons are swappable for different things, so there's no reason you couldn't have four different weapons loaded up. Plasma cannon, flamethrower, laser minigun and grenade launcher, say.