Keldon-class, why didn't the Cardassian Union make more?

Deep Space Nine
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Keldon-class, why didn't the Cardassian Union make more?

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

I mean, they were the first Cardie ships to be really classified as heavy cruisers. Why did they stick with the weaker Galor-class, instead of switching into full scale Keldon production?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Keldon-class, why didn't the Cardassian Union make more?

Post by Bryan Moore »

Short-term memory issues amongst the writers, I'm guessing!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'd guess it was a resource a/o speed of build issue. Whatever additions were included with that little backpack, they surely cost more or took longer to make than a standard Galor-class.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm guessing it's easier to make several Galor class than one Keldon class. Like building three Nebula class ships for every one Galaxy class.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Keldons are upgraded Galors. So its not that they weren't making more. More like they were losing them faster then they could be replaced.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It was likely more resource effective to have two Galors, and therefore a greater amount of flexibility, instead of one Keldon. The Keldon was merely a Galor with a large section of hull and a computer/sensor/weapons upgrade IIRC. It probably costs too much to be of great use.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It all depends on how much the Keldon costs to construct.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's possible that there's no such thing as a Keldon class ship per se, and they're simply refitted Galors. As part of the preparation for specific missions (like the TS/OO strike against the Founders) the extra firepower makes the cost of the refit worthwhile, whereas for a prolonged war it's too expensive and/or time consuming.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'd guess they choose numbers over power.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Teaos wrote:I'd guess they choose numbers over power.
They seem to like the wolf-pack mentality though in this case its kind of a chicken or egg thing, do their tactics dictate their builds or do their builds dictate their tactics.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

KuvahMagh wrote:They seem to like the wolf-pack mentality though in this case its kind of a chicken or egg thing, do their tactics dictate their builds or do their builds dictate their tactics.
Probably a bit of both - their weak technology compared to the rest of the quadrant forced them to rely on quantity over quality, so rather than building the most powerful ships they could, they concentrated on the most powerful ships they could build in large numbers.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sounds about right.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Captain Seafort wrote:Probably a bit of both - their weak technology compared to the rest of the quadrant forced them to rely on quantity over quality, so rather than building the most powerful ships they could, they concentrated on the most powerful ships they could build in large numbers.
Thats pretty much what I was thinking. Its unfortunate that we didn't see at least a few of the Keldons throughout the War, at least during the early stages. Weyoun is obviously a bad source but in the early days of the Dominion's presence he spoke about helping them to rebuild. This could have easily included a few Keldons to help them fill out their Fleet with Heavy Ships.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Upgrades have a price tag... I agree with the Galors = numbers idea. The CU knew how to produce Galors in MASSIVE numbers. Safe bet was that the CU would rather build what they were good at vs something costly and new. Besides, the only battle they were in was a total fail for the CU.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu