The origins of V'Ger

The Original Series
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The origins of V'Ger

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The "Borg Species # 1" thread, with it's discussion of the origins of the Borg and the V'Ger theory, got me thinking about the origins of V'Ger. Whatever could have turned an ordinary 20th century Earth probe not meant to operate outside of our own solar system into a monster the size of a solar system must have itself been a power of immense proportions; further, barring a wormhole leading to a very distant (possibly extragalactic) point, it should be located somewhere in the Trek universe, which by now covers much of our galaxy.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The origins of V'Ger

Post by Mark »

Which leads me to the "random temporal wormhole theory".
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Maybe it was the same entity which genetically engineered the humpback whales.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:Maybe it was the same entity which genetically engineered the humpback whales.
Sure, why not? :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

But the humpbacked whales genetically engineered themselves. Tut, tut, Mikey - you should know obvious things like that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:But the humpbacked whales genetically engineered themselves. Tut, tut, Mikey - you should know obvious things like that.
:doh:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, but maybe it was the whales themselves that modified V'Ger? After all, Blackstar proved without doubt that whales are clearly from an uber-advanced alien race. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

:lol: :DITL:

Seriously though, are there any serious ideas - other than the wormhole idea Mark mentioned, as an extension of/comment on this, or other?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Remember
"Determination < opposable thumbs." - Captain Seafort
The only other possibility I can come up with, was it was intercepted by a Warp 10 capable species just outside our solar system. But even then thats a REALLY short time to evolve and make the trip back from parts unknown.

On the same note, does anyone remember if the Doomsday Machine was warp capable???
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Mark wrote:On the same note, does anyone remember if the Doomsday Machine was warp capable???
I'd imagine it would have to be, considering that it was an imminent threat to a cluster of solar systems including Sol.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

That got me thinking about V'Ger. Maybe it POSSIBLY had some kind of warp-time dialation drive. You know, it traveled at warp speed and cut through time just like distance.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The wormhole idea is likely.

But I dont see why you limit the other end of the wormhole to our galaxy, it would very well be outside out galaxy.

Considering that it was stated that it had digitised massive amounts of data (even whole systems and maybe galaxies) it would make sense that it ended up in another universe.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I like to look at it this way CPH...if a Ferengi can get into Starfleet, then a simple thing like a satellite probe turning into an infinitely powerful 'being' is but a trifle...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

thelordharry wrote:I like to look at it this way CPH...if a Ferengi can get into Starfleet, then a simple thing like a satellite probe turning into an infinitely powerful 'being' is but a trifle...
Don't forget to call that Ferengi, sir.