Worth getting into?

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Worth getting into?

Post by Bryan Moore »

Is it worth trying to get into this show? My buddy from my summer/weekend job owns all 10 seasons, and loves the show. The bits and pieces I've caught have all left me with the thought of "Meh, whatever." But at the same time, his recommendations are usually pretty spot on, as far as TV shows go.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

I thought it was worth it. :)
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It ranks up there as one of my favourite shows. I would recomend watching it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I'd recommend it. I'm getting into it myself. It has been said that it is the most realisticly portrayed Sci-Fi series. That and it's veritility make it popular. Unlike the 'soap-opera' sci-fi series that have so much drama involved with space travel, they travel to other worlds, sometimes several in a single episode. It often involves fast paced action and often seems to be the most 'human' focused sci-fi series.

Also if you ever see only one episode of SG-1 watch "Window of Opportunity". Season 4 Episode 6. It has got to be the best episode ever. You won't regret it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What episode was that?

Stargate also dosen't require you watch every episode to know whats going on. It has good action, nice special effects and some great humour. (anyone remember that episode where Jack and T'ealc kept experienceing the same day over and over again?)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Got into it recently and haven't regretted it. I know the one you're talking about too, Rochey. Man, that was funny! Nothing like Jack shooting a golf ball through the Stargate... :lol: :lol:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:What episode was that?

Stargate also dosen't require you watch every episode to know whats going on. It has good action, nice special effects and some great humour. (anyone remember that episode where Jack and T'ealc kept experienceing the same day over and over again?)
Um... That was actually the episode I was talking about. :roll: Best golf scene ever!
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Rochey wrote:What episode was that?

That's the episode BlackStar referred to. :)

That one REALLY IS great. :lol:
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

SG-1 is definately worth getting into. Especially the first eight seasons. The whole series is excellent, but the first eight seasons are quite possibly the best science fiction in recent years.
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Um... That was actually the episode I was talking about.
:oops:
I suck with remembering names.

"Colonel O'Neill, what the hell are you doing?!"
"Right in the middle of my BACKSWING?!"
:lol:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
Um... That was actually the episode I was talking about.
:oops:
I suck with remembering names.

"Colonel O'Neill, what the hell are you doing?!"
"Right in the middle of my BACKSWING?!"
:lol:
That's okay. I only know the name because I usually get bored and look stuff up on Wikipedia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[repeated line]
Col. O'Neill: Bad example.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Col. O'Neill is undergoing a medical examination. Dr. Frasier checks his pupils with a penlight.]
Col. O'Neill I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that could explain this?!
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Re: Worth getting into?

Post by Duskofdead »

Bryan Moore wrote:Is it worth trying to get into this show? My buddy from my summer/weekend job owns all 10 seasons, and loves the show. The bits and pieces I've caught have all left me with the thought of "Meh, whatever." But at the same time, his recommendations are usually pretty spot on, as far as TV shows go.
I pretty much refused to watch the show when Star Trek was still on the air. I considered it kind of a "second rate" sci fi akin to Babylon Five.... arguably decent writing but a lot of generic hokiness you had to bend your mind around to enjoy.

A year or a year and a half back, sci fi did a marathon of Stargate SG1 and some of the new (season 1) Atlantis episodes prior to the premiere of I believe season 10 of SG-1 and season 2 or 3 of Atlantis. I pretty much got instantly hooked. I watched seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 on TV via re-runs and new episodes, and ultimately went back a few months ago to buy the entire 10 seasons on DVD. Was money well spent, in my book.

I think it has pretty much everything Trek has often been light on; political wrangling, countless continuing story arcs, etc. Two episode storylines are frequent, I'd say there are at least 2 per season not counting season finale/cliffhangers and premieres. And especially from season 5 or so onwards, and in Atlantis, the show has just as much high-tech combat and starship fighting as Trek practically, while still retaining the "away team" and "galactic politics" aspects which Trek sometimes thinned on, as well as a good dose of pure comic relief episodes.

To make a long story short, yes, I heavily recommend it.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

A year or a year and a half back, sci fi did a marathon of Stargate SG1 and some of the new (season 1) Atlantis episodes prior to the premiere of I believe season 10 of SG-1 and season 2 or 3 of Atlantis. I pretty much got instantly hooked. I watched seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 on TV via re-runs and new episodes, and ultimately went back a few months ago to buy the entire 10 seasons on DVD. Was money well spent, in my book.
Hey, that's exactly how I got hooked :shock:
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Hey, that's exactly how I got hooked :shock:
Copy-chakat!
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

The cool thing is that they have the entire 10 seasons in one box set, with new DVD extras. Even though I have all 10 season on DVD (bought as they came out) I considered buying the big box just for the new stuff. I couldn't justify the cost though so I didn't do it.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...