Hope & Fear

Voyager
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Hope & Fear

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I was watching it this morning off of a DVD and I noticed one inconsistancy and another "Writers are idiots" moment. At the begining when they find the Dauntless Tuvok states the the ship has a starfleet warp signature, yet the Dauntless doesn't have warp drive, or even a warp core. Later on it's said that they compleatly replaced the warp drive systems.

Then later on when they're fight Arturis(spelling?) as he goes to activate the helm controls, they shoot him and it burns a hole in his clothes but he isn't killed or even stunned. And when he continues pressing buttons the two security officers try to pull him away rather then try to just shoot him. :roll:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Hope & Fear

Post by Tsukiyumi »

There have been a number of instances where even kill-level phaser blasts didn't work on certain species (the main bug in TNG's Conspiracy, and the fake commander in Conundrum), so I always just figured Arturis' species was especially tough.

Good call on the "warp signature" from a ship with no warp drive, though. You'd think someone would find that odd.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Good spotting on the warp trail. I suppose if you want to come up with an explanation for that they just use "warp signature" as a generic term for any propulsion system. But that really is pushing it.

But I agree with Tsu that some species may just be more resistant to phasers than others.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:I was watching it this morning off of a DVD and I noticed one inconsistancy and another "Writers are idiots" moment. At the begining when they find the Dauntless Tuvok states the the ship has a starfleet warp signature, yet the Dauntless doesn't have warp drive, or even a warp core. Later on it's said that they compleatly replaced the warp drive systems.
I think it's quite easy to replicate a warp signature, though.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Good spotting on the warp trail. I suppose if you want to come up with an explanation for that they just use "warp signature" as a generic term for any propulsion system. But that really is pushing it.

But I agree with Tsu that some species may just be more resistant to phasers than others.
Remember Roga Danar? Several heavy stun blasts and he was still kicking Riker, O'Brien and Worf's asses all over the deck.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

So rather than numbered power levels they should call it by species.

'Set phasers to Klingon!"

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Thorin wrote:
Blackstar the Chakat wrote:I was watching it this morning off of a DVD and I noticed one inconsistancy and another "Writers are idiots" moment. At the begining when they find the Dauntless Tuvok states the the ship has a starfleet warp signature, yet the Dauntless doesn't have warp drive, or even a warp core. Later on it's said that they compleatly replaced the warp drive systems.
I think it's quite easy to replicate a warp signature, though.
But it didn't have a warp drive to create a warp signature. The Dauntless used a Quantum Slipstream drive(and here come the quantum jokes) which is very different from Warp drive. It didn't even have a warp core(M/AM reactor) or any other Warp drive systems.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I thought it still did have the M/AM reactor? If it didnt what powered the ship and the drive system?

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Remember Roga Danar? Several heavy stun blasts and he was still kicking Riker, O'Brien and Worf's asses all over the deck.
Pfft. That's nothing. Remember Chakotay getting shot point blank range in the chest by a phaser on a lethal setting getting up and limping away a few moments later?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Maybe they got that phaser from a Cracker Jack box? :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Probably, but there must be a lot of them around. Because in The 37's another guy gets shot in the chest, yet also survives just fine. I'm sure I can think more up if I look around.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Now if they were using bullets I doubt they would be getting up anytime soon.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Maybe they lined their uniforms with miracle-packing-crate material?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Plastic armour for all!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Now if they were using bullets I doubt they would be getting up anytime soon.
Unless those bullets were .25 or .380s... Man, those things are weak.