Biggest design flaws ever!

Everything else
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Biggest design flaws ever!

Post by stitch626 »

What are the biggest design flaws in all of Sci-fi?
We have recently seen the thin neck of the Nebulon B frigate.
And of course there is the 2m hole that allowed for the destruction of the DS.
There's got to be more. Any from Trek (and constantly exploding panels does not count :) )?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Considering the nature and cost of the weapon, I'd say the Death Star's 2m (6 ft) wide "please don't shoot here" flaw takes the cake.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That's why I mentioned it first. And yes I agree.
It was a bad idea.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Calling this:
a warship.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well, Starfleet ships often have that neck that would seem to be an excellent target to disconect the bridge controls from the engines. Then the ship would be a sitting duck at warp at least, and with some designs at impulse as well. The exposed nacelles may also be a weak point, but may be necessary for their engine technology
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Nutso wrote:Calling this:
a warship.
Well, to be fair it was used more often as a scout/command center/carrier or as a medical frigate and as such wouldn't be on the front lines that often.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'll nominate the Cardassian ODPs power system. It was absurdly easy to destroy, for reasons many of us have brought up before, like:

How could you ever trick the platforms to attack their own power source?

And: Just one power source?

Etc.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

From a wonderfully weird little movie called "Battle Beyond the Stars".

And this was a fighter. That looks like a cow.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:lol:
That is the creepiest ship (and I use the term loosely) I have ever seen.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

GrahamKennedy wrote:From a wonderfully weird little movie called "Battle Beyond the Stars".

And this was a fighter. That looks like a cow.
No cow I know of. And I live in the Dairy State so I know a thing or two about cows. It looks more like conjoined twins conected at the...well I don't really want to say it.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I guess technologies moved on a bit by the 24th century, but it seems to me that having one power source for all the mines would seem much more technically difficult then having individual power sources.

How was the power transmitted?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:I guess technologies moved on a bit by the 24th century, but it seems to me that having one power source for all the mines would seem much more technically difficult then having individual power sources.

How was the power transmitted?
They don't specify the transmission method, that I can remember.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The necks on Klingon ships are worse than on the federation's. Especially the battlecruisers.
It seems there are a lot of thin neck design flaws.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

To be fair, unless something is stated on screen as a design flaw people who want to design wacky stuff have an out in that we don't know the technology.

For example imagine if there was a sci fi show in the 70's and you introduced a fighter plane.

And it looked like this:

They would have been like wft were the designers thinking? That isn't even remotely aerodynamic!

However that was still a very successful craft and it had a good reason to look the way it did.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

sunnyside wrote:To be fair, unless something is stated on screen as a design flaw people who want to design wacky stuff have an out in that we don't know the technology.

For example imagine if there was a sci fi show in the 70's and you introduced a fighter plane.

And it looked like this:

They would have been like wft were the designers thinking? That isn't even remotely aerodynamic! Probably isn't even stable in flight(which it isn't).

However that was still a very successful craft and it had a good reason to look the way it did.
First of all, that's a fighter in name only. It can only carry two missles at most, no gun, and no afterburner. If it get's in a dogfight it's as good as dead.

Secondly according to their pilots they are actually quite stable.