Death Star?

Enterprise
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Death Star?

Post by stitch626 »

Haven't seen this yet so...
Has anyone noticed that the battle against the Xindi weapon is very similar to the 1st battle against the Death Star.
1) Big ball shaped planet destroyers.
2) Enterprise last hope to save Earth (similar to Luke as last hope to stop DS)
3) Reptillian ship threatening to destroy Enterprise (Darth Vader targetting Luke)
4) Shran saves the Enterprise, alowing them to complete their mission (Han Solo getting rid of the Tie fighters on Luke's tail)

Maybe its just me, but these seem pretty close. Would appretiate anyone's thoughts.
Last edited by stitch626 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Ripping off other ideas is a time honoured tradition in fiction (if a severe piss off), the DS attack was a rip off/homage to the Dambusters attacks.

Trek's had a few of these lately. VOY's chaotic space, NEM's ripoff of Lord of The Rings and Three Kings. I suppose we could chalk this one up to that as well (though it's been so long since I've seen this scene that it may be very different).
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

This was such a blantant and total ripoff I couldnt believe they had the balls to do it.

The idea of the planet buster was so over the top it ruined that season even more than normal ENT douch-baggery did.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That's how I feel. Of course, we could have gotten worse (like the writers introducing something akin to the force).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well...The Xindi weapon was more compact :P

And Enterprise wasn't the last hope to stop the weapon, it was our only hope. "Help us captain archer. You're our only hope."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

No, that's even worse. Oh my. :lol:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont think it could do much to a whole planet. Sure to could mess up the surface but thats about it. I dont see how it could destroy i.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ok, so instead of destroy, erradicate all life and make surface a cinder block.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

You know what I would've said if I had been in that era?

"Captain Archer is our only hope? I'd bet you we're all gonna die, but I wouldn't be alive to collect on it."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why didnt they try to evacute the planet?

Call in the Vulcans and all available species to help.

Sure they wanted Archer to win but I wouldnt risk man kind on it.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:: with hesitation ::
Maybe they were unable to detect the giant humungous ball of metal coming tords them.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Teaos wrote:I dont think it could do much to a whole planet. Sure to could mess up the surface but thats about it. I dont see how it could destroy i.
Didn't we see the planet be destroyed in an alternate timeline by the weapon? The one where Archer can't get any new memories because his brain is infested with time bugs or something.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Can we take that as fact?

I just dont see how it could be physically possible. The amount of energy needed to break a planet apart and defeat gravity.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Though someone could claim that never really happened (same argument for the AGT E-D)
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Teaos wrote:Can we take that as fact?

I just dont see how it could be physically possible. The amount of energy needed to break a planet apart and defeat gravity.
Yes. It's what would've happened if Archer was taken out of the fight. In fact it did happen, but no one remembers it.
Though someone could claim that never really happened (same argument for the AGT E-D)
Well the AGT thing was one of Q's games, whereas this was a result in an alternate timeline