"Living Witness" Evil Voyager Appreciation Thread

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

"Living Witness" Evil Voyager Appreciation Thread

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

This was an excellent episode in many ways, but this thread is about appreciating the perverted fun of watching the evil voyager crew. It's an entertaining change from the normal ethics of Trek (even given the inconsistencies with Voyager we've discussed.) In real life it's all grotesque, and the perversion of Voyager is a bit over the top (to all but Deepcrush, that is :P ), but this plays nicely into the plot of the episode without turning the event into a freak show. We are able to enjoy seeing the evil Voyager crew do its thing without being repulsed by the episode as a whole.

All in all it quite nicely substitutes for the lack of mirror universe eps in Voyager.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

God this episode was SO what a TNG-era Mirror universe episode should have been. I spent the first few minutes thinking that's what we were getting - the Mirror universe version of Voyager. So much better than the dreck version that DS9 served up.

The one single reason I will forever regret Enterprise's cancellation is that I suspect if it had lasted, we would have got a Mirror universe episode once a season or so. Their take on it was just fantastic fun. I only wish they had kept in Archers line to Mayweather!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What line was that?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh, there's a scene where Archer gives the crew a big speech and he ends it with "Long live the Empire! Long live the Empire!" The crowd take it up, chanting over and over as he leaves.

According to the commentary, in the original script, as he walks out he stops and says to Mayweather "Shoot the first one that stops saluting."

They decided it was too over the top. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol: Aw, they should well have kept that line in.

It's funny when the evil mirror-universe characters are so much more interesting, entertaining, and all around cooler than the actual characters of the show.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:According to the commentary, in the original script, as he walks out he stops and says to Mayweather "Shoot the first one that stops saluting."

They decided it was too over the top. :)
How can it be over the top if they were directly copying tactics on an historical dictatorship? That scenario was common in the Soviet Union, albeit with the proviso that the actual order was unnecessary, it being standard operating proceedure.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

GrahamKennedy wrote: According to the commentary, in the original script, as he walks out he stops and says to Mayweather "Shoot the first one that stops saluting."
Wasn't the line, "shoot the first one that stops clapping."? And that was in the episode. Unless one word really makes that much of a difference.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Either one was still a great line. ;)

Man, I loved that first bit. Voyager all decked out, with Seven as a Borg, Chakotay's wild tattoos...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote: According to the commentary, in the original script, as he walks out he stops and says to Mayweather "Shoot the first one that stops saluting."
Wasn't the line, "shoot the first one that stops clapping."? And that was in the episode. Unless one word really makes that much of a difference.
Well they weren't clapping, so I don't think so. I'm sure it was said as being something that was cut from the script, but I'd have to check to make sure.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

GrahamKennedy wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Well they weren't clapping, so I don't think so. I'm sure it was said as being something that was cut from the script, but I'd have to check to make sure.
Are you sure? The scene where he's making a speech in the shuttlebay? I remember him say that line, as he left after his speech. When all the people were clapping and cheering.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'll check and let you know.
cbosdell
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by cbosdell »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
It was a deleted scene on the DVD.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

cbosdell wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
It was a deleted scene on the DVD.
I'm telling you I saw it while watching reruns on the Sci-fi channel
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Do we have a favorite bit from this ep? The ridiculously overgunned Voyager, the black gloves, Chakotay with half his face covered in tribal tattoo, evil Chakotay having the audacity to say he was a man of peace, the whole Chakotay/Kim interrogation scene itself, evil Doctor, the way the crew got along, a Borg tactical team at evil Janeway's disposal...

There's just so much good stuff in here.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Ivan_Only
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by Ivan_Only »

The "Evil" Doctor, his lines were awesome.

I was sad though, no goatee's
"What's in the case?"