Good Bad Ugly: VOY

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Good Bad Ugly: VOY

Post by Teaos »

Ok the definitive what's good and what's crap about each trek show.

So we all have different like and dislikes about each series and the plots and characters involves in them. So you can copy/paste the following section and fill it out about what you do like about them.

Great:

Good:

Average:

Bad:

Terrible:
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Great: The ship. Sure it had the usual Starfleet problems like mysteriously exploding consoles and the like but compared to other ships it was excellent. As we saw in year of hell it was robust as hell. It packed a very decent punch for its size and looked cool.

The Doctor was also great. His gradual progression from annoying program to annoying human is possible the best character development seen in trek. His holo images remind me of those annoying older relatives who insist on showing you holiday pics.

Good: Seven like the doctor had good development, and she was hot. Paris was also fun to, a typical lout who's lived under his fathers shadow for a long time. He also does what he thinks is right rather than just follow orders. Gives a level of humanity to the show.

Average: Borg. Unlike almost everyone else here I don't mind what Voyager did to the Borg. They way they were originally portrayed as near impossible to beat enemies limited their use to only one or two times before it became totally unbelievable. While I don't like all that was changed the principal behind it is not nearly as bad as others make it seem.

Bad: Tuvok and the idea of black Vulcan's. PC bullsh*t gone mad. The whole Kazon species annoyed me. They should have been wiped out long ago. To much techno babble for no good reason.

Terrible: Janeway. Self-righteous B*tch should of never made captain. The marqui subplot that never unfolded also gets thrown in here since it could have been great if they didn't decide to make everyone one big happy family.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Great: The borg battles. A great consistant threat that always exites, even if the writers peverted the original concept.

Good: The crew...Neelix was annoying but other than that...B'elanna when she was pregnant was quite humerous :P

Average: Ship. Just meh-ness

Bad: The Kazon. Failed to grow into the foe that it was meant to be.

Terrible: Neelix. He was annoying, bordering on Racially discriminate when he kept making comments on Tuvok and way to off his head for a Starfleet ship.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Great: The ship. Best ship design ever. Least arguements about how much it sucks.

The Doctor was also great. He had the most character development.

I also love Paris, he was cool, and he was the first real pilot in the series.

Good: Seven had good character development, but a a bit less impressive because she was too perfect.

Average: The rest of the crew.

Bad: The Kazon, the techno babble.

Terrible:The Maquie subplot that never unfolded since it could have been great if they had more then one or two episodes of disagreement.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

The Great: The first Borg story archs, when they seemed to still be indesctructible.

The Good: Upon watching the series a second time, it was more enjoyable than I remember.

The Average: The fact that I didn't care about any of the characters (Which is only good, because I'd have been annoyed real fast with all of them)

The Bad: Stupid ways to get Alpha Quadrant aliens involved

The Terrible: Kes. Good god, I hated that character.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Great: The concept of the show. Too bad they didn't actualy do anything with it.

Good: Voyager itself. A mostly competantly designed ship. The Doctor.

Average: Nothing really I'd put into this category.

Bad: The Kazon. Pathetic Klingon wannabes.

Terrible:
The crew.
Neelix.
The plots of most episodes.
The constant technobabble.
Janeway.
The Maquis subplot.
The Borg.
The reset-button.
The never-ending supply of redshirts and shuttles.
Rampant idiocy from the crew.
The "humour".
Everything else I've forgotten to mention.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Great: The fact I enjoyed it, for some reason I could never rationally explain.

Good: The concept.

Average: Janeway. The smug, patrician Katherine Hepburn wannabe, wasn't likable, but was believable.

Bad: The fact it never did what it said on the tin. The Maquis where absorbed with no problems, and repairs and resupply never caused any problems, apart from the occasional story of the week.

Terrible: That super alien hologram tech, and future tech from the last episode pretty much closes the door on any post Voyager Trek.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Why the hell have we got three different copies of this thread? :?
They sure weren't there when I last logged in.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Good Bad Ugly: VOY

Post by Captain Seafort »

Great: The basic premise was very promising, and the Doctor was excellent.

Good: The design was nice, and a lot more solid than previous hero-ships. There were also some good stories, Timeless, Dark Frontier and Year of Hell being some of the best.

Average: Most of the non-Picardo acting. Harry Kim.

Bad: The rest of the non-Picardo acting, most of the scripts, all of the science.

Terrible: Virtually every command decision Janeway ever made, the treatment of the Borg, Neelix.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why the hell have we got three different copies of this thread?
They sure weren't there when I last logged in.
I had trouble posting it but strange to see them show up several hours latter.

One thing I will throw bad even though it was more just annoying is how the crew size never really went down dispite casulaltys. We never saw them bring anyone new in.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I wouldn't say that the lack of new faces was a problem. The fact that any plots revolving around the risk of running out of people were invariably one episode wonders rather than ongoing issues was a problem.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:I wouldn't say that the lack of new faces was a problem. The fact that any plots revolving around the risk of running out of people were invariably one episode wonders rather than ongoing issues was a problem.
Ya, there were about 33 deaths seen or mentioned on screen. While we're at it, Voyager lost 15 shuttles and one Delta Flyer ship, and used 93 out of 40 Photon Torpedoes. This evidence proves that 5 out of 4 writers can't do math.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Good Bad Ugly: VOY

Post by sunnyside »

Great: Concept. Doctor. Having a ship that wasn't the biggest baddest thing Starfleet could crank out.

Good: Seven,

Average: Janeway. Pretty believable at least. Also occasionally throwing in stops for supplies and major repairs.

Bad: Episodes get a little turnkey ish. Could have done more with Maquis

Terrible: I think Robert Beltran himself(Chakotay) say it best in regards to the series finale -"This is what we're going out with?"

On that note: http://www.firsttvdrama.com/funstuff/beltran.php3

Generally few things in Trek annoy me like retarded time travel stuff.
Last edited by sunnyside on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The funny thing is, Beltran is right. I always knew I liked that guy for some reason.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

How hard can it be to replicate a photon torpedo, really? It's not like they are big or anything.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...