The new Timeline

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The new Timeline

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They do seem to fast track to an amazing degree - Kirk graduated in three years and was appointed Captain of the flagship that day!

Another possibility : there is precedent in TOS for ranks to be granted to academy cadets. I forget the details, but there's a reference to Kirk being a Lieutenant whilst still at the academy. I gather there are rare real world examples of similar things happening. Possibly Chekov is officially still an academy trainee but was posted to the Enterprise with a temporary Ensign grade as part of an advanced training course?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:They do seem to fast track to an amazing degree - Kirk graduated in three years and was appointed Captain of the flagship that day!

Another possibility : there is precedent in TOS for ranks to be granted to academy cadets. I forget the details, but there's a reference to Kirk being a Lieutenant whilst still at the academy. I gather there are rare real world examples of similar things happening. Possibly Chekov is officially still an academy trainee but was posted to the Enterprise with a temporary Ensign grade as part of an advanced training course?
Where No Man Has Gone Before, Gary Mitchell makes a comment about Lt. Kirk's teaching methods as Kirk was instructing at the time. So he was already a commissioned officer who was teaching at the Academy. Things like that happen a lot in RL, someone has to train the cadets after all.
IntrepidPrincess
Ensign
Ensign

Post by IntrepidPrincess »

LaughingCheese wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:One of the benefits of having seen it six times :)
LOL.

Did they have like a "25 years later" kind of thing?

All I remember was "3 Years Later." :?
I don't think there was any "25 years later". There was just a point when Nero spoke of having waited 25 years for Spock to come through. He may have mentioned it more than once. And we know that Kirk was born the day Nero came through. That's a good time reference.
"Always Here" by IntrepidPrincess
All around here I see
friendly smiles to comfort me,
strong hands to protect me,
fast feet to run after me,
loving friends and family
to always be here for me.
-Home Sweet Home-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As I said before. I don't have the line memorised perfectly, but when Nero's ship arrives at the coordinates Spock is due to emerge from his crew asks what they will do next. Nero says something like "We'll do what we've done for these last 25 years. We'll wait."

That, and the stardates work out in line with it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I wonder how he and his crew occupied their time.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I kinda wondered about that myself. Did they really just sit there doing nothing for 25 years?

There's a deleted scene where you see Nero in a Klingon prison. So he did *something* with his time...
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by dagadget »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I kinda wondered about that myself. Did they really just sit there doing nothing for 25 years?

There's a deleted scene where you see Nero in a Klingon prison. So he did *something* with his time...

Cadet to Captain now that is incredible. being familiar with naval training, there is no way that a Midshipman could graduate from his training and become Captain of say an Aircraft Carrier no matter how good the training is. Nero spent time in a Klingon prison is understandable, he did after all cause a loss of many of the Klingon ships. Now adding the strength size and weapons stuff on his mining ship, that will be interesting to see. after all that's a lot newer tech than what Star Fleet has when Nero arrives and destroys the Kelvin ........
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, Kirk was made out to be some kind of unusualy good cadet.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

No, he was a horrible cadet, he just knew everything he needed, I don't think koyaboshi mary was the first time he got fought doing something wrong.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I kinda wondered about that myself. Did they really just sit there doing nothing for 25 years?

something or someone.....aka st:6 mister testes-knees........
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nickswitz wrote:No, he was a horrible cadet, he just knew everything he needed,
What makes you think that? Pike outright stated that Kirk was above average, and was wasting his life. That he was promoted to captain of the nEnterprise also suggests that Kirk was an exceptional student. They're not just going to hand over command of the freaking flagship to anyone.
I don't think koyaboshi mary was the first time he got fought doing something wrong.
And? How does this suggest that he was a poor cadet?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I don't think he was meaning bad as in not bright or talented, but rather that he found himself in trouble a lot.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I don't think he was meaning bad as in not bright or talented, but rather that he found himself in trouble a lot.
Nickswitz wrote:No, he was a horrible cadet, he just knew everything he needed,
He seems to be implying he was a poor cadet, and knew just enough to get by.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

By horrible cadet I meant what Staplic said, and he seemed to know a lot, but nonetheless, everything he needed.

I'm not saying he was stupid in anyway, just worded it incorrectly, sorry.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

From the movie, I would guess Cadet Kirk would be rather like Maverick from the Top Gun movie. Naturally brilliant - Pike said his aptitude tests were "off the charts" and called him a "genius" - but a bit wild and rowdy. I can see him getting top marks in every class... and I can also see him getting demerits (or whatever Starfleet gives) over doing things his way rather than the Starfleet way.

But Pike did say that Kirk's kind of "look before you leap" attitude was something Starfleet had lost. Perhaps others in Starfleet felt that way too, and were willing to tolerate Kirk's cowboy attitude since he does tend to get results with it.