Just how powerful IS voyager?

Voyager
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

I think the problem here, is that voyager took what TNG had created and threw it out the window.

the Intrepid is a light cruiser, with the most advanced computer systems of any ship(at the time of launch?)

the whole premise of voyager seemed unlikely to me. had it been a sovereign that got trapped, that'd seem more likely to me, to survive that long.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Azrael wrote:the whole premise of voyager seemed unlikely to me. had it been a sovereign that got trapped, that'd seem more likely to me, to survive that long.
Sovereins weren't around back then. It's not that unbelivable either. Well, not more unbelivable then the ship being sent 70,000 lightyears to the middle of nowhere.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, it is stupid that Voyager could survive that long and still find edible food and enough fuel and power to keep going.
But then again, thats still far from the stupidest thing about this series.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Azrael wrote:the whole premise of voyager seemed unlikely to me. had it been a sovereign that got trapped, that'd seem more likely to me, to survive that long.
Sovereins weren't around back then. It's not that unbelivable either. Well, not more unbelivable then the ship being sent 70,000 lightyears to the middle of nowhere.
The worst part of it is, that they had them go through borg space.

To me Voyager ruined the borg.

the queen humanized them a bit too much, i think.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Indeed, it is stupid that Voyager could survive that long and still find edible food and enough fuel and power to keep going.
But then again, thats still far from the stupidest thing about this series.
I always figured the hydroponics and replicators kept the food supply steady enough for the whole crew. The fuel is more about Deuterium, a type of hydrogen which I don't think would be too difficult to produce by that time. But that's a whole different issue. Clearly there are things in the Delta quadrent that we would believe impossible, but since we saw them in the series its canon and thus possible in-universe.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I suppose the cannon fact that Voyager suffered none of these problems does sink my complaints.
Still, it would have been nice to have an ongoing supply problem.
And one more thing, how the hell did they repair Voyager after all those battles, particularly the outside?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:I suppose the cannon fact that Voyager suffered none of these problems does sink my complaints.
Still, it would have been nice to have an ongoing supply problem.
And one more thing, how the hell did they repair Voyager after all those battles, particularly the outside?
Hmm... maybe they had an industrial replicator. It would also explain how they assembled new shuttles so often, or built the Delta Flyer so quickly. But the high energy use would restrict it to hull repairs and shuttle construction normally.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I'd think they had an industral replicator. Remember when they added all that tech in end game. That only took them a day so I dont imagin repairs would be any worse.

Also there were several friendly species that they could trade with along the way.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Its possible they had an industrial replicator, but it was never mentioned. Although the fact they had a never ending supply of shuttles means they must have some way of building them. Either that, or the shuttles are breeding.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Theres a fanfic for you.

A night in the shuttle bay...

Shuttle NC-73664 glided over to NC-76354 gently firing up its thrusters sending a warm breeze over NC-73664.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:

The weird thing is, it probably exists. :|
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Oh Teaos! That story........ooooh i was never confused!
You should write top-shelf of the newsagents magazines lol
Grtz on the promotion
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I actually think the Voyager is MUCH stronger overall at the end of the series than a normal Intrepid. There was an analogy made to a car being held together with bungie cords... I see it more as a car with it's engine bored over, headers, duals, turbo, new rear end gears, new performance tires, HD stereo, heated/cooled 12 way power seats, auto headlights, hands free phone, etc etc etc...

Granted, if you do not know what you are doing and you tinker with your car you are probably going to mess it up. However, in Voyager's care they were altering things and only keeping it if it made suff work better.

There are many many things that you can bolt on to your engine, or plug into your computer etc, WITHOUT changing the engine or gas, and end up getting A LOT more power out of the same engine. Changing gear ratios, wheel compisition and tires will also ass power and performance from the sme engine.

Now I do not know how upgrades would effect matter/antimatter reactions and output, but with the enternal combustion engine, you can relatively up your performance 50% with add-ons to your current engine.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That and the facy Voyagers crew is intimatly familiar with their ship would help a lot. They could get everything to work to the best it can.

Give that ship to anyone else and it would probably blow up.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It also helped that the crew had spent all that time with free hands to do whatever they wanted. If they could make something better then they did. If an alien race could make something better then voy did it. Seven spent as much of her time as she could upgrading the ship. Kim and Torres were making repairs around the clock and the ship needed this to survive.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu