George Takei calls for Star Wars and Star Trek fans to unite

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: George Takei calls for Star Wars and Star Trek fans to u

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Vic wrote:Sure there are islands west of Brazil........just not immediately west of Brazil....... :roll:
I award five points to Vic. ;)
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

It's very hard to be fearful of a vampire that sparkles. "I'm covered in glitter! I sparkle like yoir six-year old's art project! Fear me!" Man, I hate this tween goth!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

"This is the skin of a killer!"

"Excuse me, I'm gonna go be scared of something more frightening than you... like a Care Bear."
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

mwhittington wrote:It's very hard to be fearful of a vampire that sparkles. "I'm covered in glitter! I sparkle like yoir six-year old's art project! Fear me!" Man, I hate this tween goth!
Ok, I admit I never read the book/books nor watched the movies, I am only aware of the whole twilight saga because of internet-memes making fun of it, so what IS the deal with the sparkle-thing. The vampires sparkle? Why? Is this some plot-point in the books? Something by which you can identify a vampire in this universe???
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Atekimogus wrote:
mwhittington wrote:It's very hard to be fearful of a vampire that sparkles. "I'm covered in glitter! I sparkle like yoir six-year old's art project! Fear me!" Man, I hate this tween goth!
Ok, I admit I never read the book/books nor watched the movies, I am only aware of the whole twilight saga because of internet-memes making fun of it, so what IS the deal with the sparkle-thing. The vampires sparkle? Why? Is this some plot-point in the books? Something by which you can identify a vampire in this universe???
In the sunlight, they sparkle and glitter like diamonds. It's... why they hide, so they don't stand out. It's ridiculous and stupid, yes.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:In the sunlight, they sparkle and glitter like diamonds. It's... why they hide, so they don't stand out. It's ridiculous and stupid, yes.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - their depiction of vampires is the least of the books' problems.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:In the sunlight, they sparkle and glitter like diamonds. It's... why they hide, so they don't stand out. It's ridiculous and stupid, yes.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - their depiction of vampires is the least of the books' problems.
I agree, but it's still stupid. ;)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: In the sunlight, they sparkle and glitter like diamonds. It's... why they hide, so they don't stand out. It's ridiculous and stupid, yes.
Ah I see....well thank you for the info and I agree....this is most stupid. Going from horribly burning to ashes in sunlight to sparkling like a diamond is certainly a huge leap in imagination, I give the author that.

Ah well, never been a fan of this vampire hype nowadays, the only universe with vampires I slightly was interested in was Vampire:The Masquerade, mainly because the the most bad-ass bloodmages clan happens to have it's mainbase in my city.

Loved the two computer games (despite the bugs), never understood why the licence wasn't a bigger fish, evenmoreso considering the late vampire-hype.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Atekimogus wrote:Going from horribly burning to ashes in sunlight to sparkling like a diamond is certainly a huge leap in imagination, I give the author that.
Not really. The sparklies are something new, but the idea of vampires being terminally allergic to sunlight is also pretty recent - within the last century or so.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, vampire 'mythology', so to speak, is all over the place I don't mind them not burning in sunlight. Not having any real weaknesses and their uberness is bullshit, mind you.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Not having any real weaknesses and their uberness is bullshit, mind you.
They burn easily, and they're neither faster nor stronger than a typical vampire, so they're not overly uber by the standards of the genre.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Not having any real weaknesses and their uberness is bullshit, mind you.
They burn easily, and they're neither faster nor stronger than a typical vampire, so they're not overly uber by the standards of the genre.
Okay, but at least in the settings humans have no chance against them. Which makes the fridge logic of why the hell they aren't our masters... :bangwall:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Okay, but at least in the settings humans have no chance against them. Which makes the fridge logic of why the hell they aren't our masters... :bangwall:
Because taking on unarmed humans is a different kettle of fish from taking on anyone better equipped than the average rioter. Molotovs would give them cause for concern, let alone military weapons. More widely, "why aren't they the ones in charge" is a question that could be asked of most vampires, given their physical superiority over humans.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Moderately-trained humans in some settings can take out vamps and win. In Twilight, they can outrun moving vehicles and punch through granite. The Volturri should be kings but hide out in their castle. It's just... stupid to me.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I can only think it's because of the humans' strength in numbers, that we're numerically superior to them.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-