Just how powerful IS voyager?

Voyager
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

DSG2k wrote:Replacing a clunky metal intake manifold with a plastic one reduces weight and improves efficiency . . . replacing old steel hubs with aluminum ones reduces weight and improves efficiency . . . there are even things one can do to the computer software that can either increase power or increase fuel efficiency (the most popular is the former, though in the era of the hybrid this is changing).
True - but replacing inert lumps of material is different from completely replacing the main reactor. Additionally you have to consider the trade-off between the various properties of a given material. In the 1970s the Royal Navy made use of aluminium in warship construction to save weight. The Falklands War proved the folly of this when several ships (most notoriously RFA Sir Galahad) burned fiercely when hit, because of the aluminium.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

The federation vessels may be able to be modified to a limited extent with non-federation components, if perhaps the federation vessels share a similar technological lineage to the race,that the technology is adopted from, if a degree of compatibility is present, clearly there would be great effort required,but this is not heretical to suggest this, and certainly not warranting a waspish elucidating of the word, i used.
As for selectively using main battle tank analogies, the german 'rheinmettal' gun from the leopard 2A4 is used on the Abrams M1A1, built under license without modification, although clearly the german and american vehicles will obviously share a great deal in common with each other compared to a federation and alien vessel.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i get that 'accomodate' has proactive connotations, and if voyager can profit from modifications,that this may not have been the intention of its designers, but more of happenstance etc, so point conceded.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Agreed. My brother has done a couple of things to his car - replaced the exhaust system for instance - which alters it from the factory spec but increases performance in doing so.

As but one example, presumably a starship loses some energy from the warp plasma as it makes its way from core to nacelles. Some alien doohickey might reduce that energy loss, so improving efficiency and making the ship faster. It would be trivial to think up all sorts of other stuff.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

They could of easily inhanced shielding and energy effeciency allowing for mor energy to be used in certain systems such as weapons. I could see Voyager being a lot more powerful than spec but I doubt it could take on a Galaxy.

It is shown to be able to put up a good fight against larger enemy ships but when ever it faces a proper war ship it seems to get nailed.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I think Voyager is a cross between a hot rod and a jalopy. It kind of reminds me of a guy I used to know. He drove this old muscle car, much of it performed beyond factory specs but the problem was finding compatible parts for the ageing car so he often adapted parts, and they were often temperamental. While the car could do stuff that other cars of that make can't, it had to be repaired every other week because the custom parts failed, or destroyed an older part that can't handle the enhanced performance.

I think Voyager was a lot like that, adapting what they need, but temperamental as a result, and occasionally enhance or reduce performance. The latter being only when necessary.
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I think Voyager is a cross between a hot rod and a jalopy. It kind of reminds me of a guy I used to know. He drove this old muscle car, much of it performed beyond factory specs but the problem was finding compatible parts for the ageing car so he often adapted parts, and they were often temperamental. While the car could do stuff that other cars of that make can't, it had to be repaired every other week because the custom parts failed, or destroyed an older part that can't handle the enhanced performance.

I think Voyager was a lot like that, adapting what they need, but temperamental as a result, and occasionally enhance or reduce performance. The latter being only when necessary.

I think this is a really good conclusion! Its backed up greatly by the season seven episode 'Nightngale' (SPELLING YAY) where Voyager is forced to set down to perform extensive refits and repairs.
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed - it seems that, while having considerably upgraded her abilities, Voyager is not always able to take advantage of this fact due to breakdowns or unpredictable performance.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Voyager reminds me of the Millenium Falcon from Star Wars. Its upgraded with all sorts of stuff, but is constantly breaking down or having things go wrong.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Beam Firepower : 200
Torpedo Firepower : 625
Weapon Range and Accuracy : 440
Shield Strength : 270
Hull Armour : 50
Speed : 3,526
Combat Manoeuvrability : 9,100

Over all strenght index : 591

Thats the DITL standard intrepid I think Voyager would be

Beam Firepower : 240
Torpedo Firepower : 750
Weapon Range and Accuracy : 550
Shield Strength : 296
Hull Armour : 50
Speed : 3,526
Combat Manoeuvrability : 9,250

Over all : 652

I added a torpedo tube since I think Voyager could handle that nand it would be a good idea considering the amount of stuff they get into. I left it as standard even though I could see Seven fixing up some better ones. If thats the case it gets even stronger.

The rest I just jumped then 10-15% for added bits here and there. I think it is resonable.

So stronger with out being over the top.
Last edited by Teaos on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:Voyager reminds me of the Millenium Falcon from Star Wars. Its upgraded with all sorts of stuff, but is constantly breaking down or having things go wrong.
Ya, but Voyager was better looking. Still the comparison is accurate IMHO and Voyager was the fastest ship in the fleet at the time, as stated of coarse. I could be wrong, but I think she's still the fastest ship as stated. The Prometheus did claim to be the fastest, but only seen going warp 9.9 whereas Voyager was stated as reaching 9.975.

And Teaos' estimates seem accurate, well when they can get the ship to work at full capacity.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think Teaos has a good idea about Voyager's upgrades, but don't forgot the one-off improvements, either - Tuvok's new shield system, transphasic torpedoes, the isokinetic cannon, etc., to say nothing of the alternate future upgrades. Even if we ignore the future editions of Voyager, her abilities might be much higher at any given time.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think Tuvoks shields would only be a 15-20% upgrade. I can't really see how one person could come up with a modification to shields that could do much more than that.

The Canon didn't get installed I believe and the future tech I wasn't counting.

But overall I find it pretty believeable that over all the ship is better. Seven would of helped a lot in upgrades.

MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Teaos wrote:I think Tuvoks shields would only be a 15-20% upgrade. I can't really see how one person could come up with a modification to shields that could do much more than that.

The Canon didn't get installed I believe and the future tech I wasn't counting.

But overall I find it pretty believeable that over all the ship is better. Seven would of helped a lot in upgrades.
Your forgetting post-borg technology removal where the EPS systems worked better, and also in 'Drone' when One 'enhanced voyager's phasers'
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

No thats what I'm classing as the 10-20% over all upgrades. That with other bots they pick up along the way.