Powered Armour

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Powered Armour

Post by Mikey »

I think the new feet are large enoguh without being too much of an impediment to mobility. What kind of weaponry will this thing be facing? It does have a rather high target profile.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Similar to itself, basically.

I'm actually thinking of scaling it down. The determining factor is that the hull needs to be big enough to take a person... so if I deepen the hull, extend it further down between the legs, I could get the height down to about 3.7 metres.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Well I was thinking anit-personell weaponry would be mounted a bit lower down on the machine, maybe some fixed weaponry on the shins (or wherever is chest level for your average human/alien/crysal/whatever) to defend against troops planting explosives directly on the mecha or its leg/feet.
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This is what a scaled down version would look like. It comes in at 3.6 metres - 11 feet 10 inches tall.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Holy hopping snot, it's hung like a mule!

JK. I assume the "cockpit" is in that dropped area?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Holy hopping snot, it's hung like a mule!

JK. I assume the "cockpit" is in that dropped area?
The cockpit is everything from the top of the head - the sensor cluster would be about where your forehead is - down to the bottom of the main hull. The lump on the bottom of the main hull is the fusion reactor.

Though if I stuck the fusion reactor on the shoulders I could use that space to extend the hull further, and scale the whole thing down by another 15 - 20%; making it just about three metres tall.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, this is about as small as I can get this before a complete redesign. It now weighs in at 3.44 metres tall - 11 feet 3 1/2 inches.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Now it looks a little cramped. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It would be.Being in the cockpit would be much like being in a coffin.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

people can sit you know :P
That said I think the design before this last one is the best. But maybe not make it hung so well :P Make the people sit.

Also I can see that already not all Coalition races can operate it. Only the largest one it seems like they all can. Maybe have both?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's actually only a little bigger than a fully power-armored Space Marine from WH40k. Of course, there's no cockpit - they're actual suits, but Space Marines are genetically engineered and implanted and tend to be considerably larger than normal humans, even unarmored.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's going to be a powered armour suit too. Think Iron Man, though I probably won't be able to make it that cool.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the smallest image you got going. I'd go with the one size up and say that they sit in the cockpit not stand. They're suppose to be semi-mech aren't they?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I am leaning towards the middle one too, though I may still move the reactor to give the hull more clearance above the ground.

I don't really want to go with a seated cockpit, though. I want to keep a more humanoid-ish shape to it. Though there's no reason why there couldn't be other models, older versions, different roles, etc.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, I've settled on the midsize version and am starting to add some detailing. I've put lights on, and added defence pods to the shoulders which can detect incoming projectiles and fire a little short range interceptor at them. I've also put a hatch in the bottom so the operator can climb into it.