Sulu vs Chekov

The Original Series
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Sulu vs Chekov

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personaly I'd have loved an Excelsior-centered series set during the period between TOS and TNG.
Of course, if B&B had done it then it would have just been f*cked up horribly, so maybe it's for the better.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It probably would have been made before B&B's time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

A Late TMP era, pre-TNG era show set on An Excelsior or even an Ambassador would have been Awesome.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It might have been easier to keep continuity showing the progression from TOS to TNG, rather than to try and shoehorn everything before TOS.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If they REALLY wanted to escape TOS & TMP they could have done Excelsior with Captain Demora Sulu. (Don't I remember Chakotay mentioning something about a Captain Sulu of the Excelsior from when he was a boy? Hikaru would have been WAY to old, so I'm guessing it was Demora)
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Anything, as long as it's better than ENT.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Oh, well in that case, allow me to put forth Star Trek: Starfleet Acadamy 90210
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:If they REALLY wanted to escape TOS & TMP they could have done Excelsior with Captain Demora Sulu. (Don't I remember Chakotay mentioning something about a Captain Sulu of the Excelsior from when he was a boy? Hikaru would have been WAY to old, so I'm guessing it was Demora)
That's assuming that lifespans have remained the same over the centuries. Given that there's at least one example of a 137-year-old, I don't see a problem with centenarian officers.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:If they REALLY wanted to escape TOS & TMP they could have done Excelsior with Captain Demora Sulu. (Don't I remember Chakotay mentioning something about a Captain Sulu of the Excelsior from when he was a boy? Hikaru would have been WAY to old, so I'm guessing it was Demora)
That's assuming that lifespans have remained the same over the centuries. Given that there's at least one example of a 137-year-old, I don't see a problem with centenarian officers.
Age point condieded. Still, I would assume after THAT many years, they would be reffering to a different Captain Sulu. I find it very unlikely that he would still be a Captain.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It's very unlikely that anyone would get to Kirk's or Picard's ages and still be a Captain. I'd say it's highly likely that Kirk gave Sulu the same advice he gave Picard in Generations.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:It's very unlikely that anyone would get to Kirk's or Picard's ages and still be a Captain. I'd say it's highly likely that Kirk gave Sulu the same advice he gave Picard in Generations.

I'm sure he did. But that would have left Sulu in command of a ship for well over 50 years. And Sulu wasn't as young as Picard when he took command of Stargazer or Kirk when he first took command of Enterprise.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, but I don't se any problem with that. As long as he's capable to command the ship he should be allowed to.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Not saying he wouldn't be allowed too.........just assuming that after THAT long, he'd have moved on to something else.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Between his 22 on the Stargazer, 7 on the E-D, and 7+ on the E-E, Picard was getting on for four decades in command of various ships. There's also the possibility that Sulu was generally known as "Captain Sulu of the Excelsior" or somesuch, in the same way that Kirk was always associated with his 5-year mission commanding the E-nil, despite his far longer stint at the Admiralty.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hmmm....that's a good point.