Worth getting into?

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I've seen the off ep or two of Atlantis in syndication on the Sci-Fi Channel, but never stuck to it, mostly based on the assumption that I'd be a bit lost without having watched in some sort of order. Based on the idea that this isn't the case, which somebody here mentioned, I might have ot give it a go.

I'll just give up non-essential things, like sleeping and eating.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:I've seen the off ep or two of Atlantis in syndication on the Sci-Fi Channel, but never stuck to it, mostly based on the assumption that I'd be a bit lost without having watched in some sort of order. Based on the idea that this isn't the case, which somebody here mentioned, I might have ot give it a go.

I'll just give up non-essential things, like sleeping and eating.
Atlantis is a lot harder to follow with, I think, more of an overarching story and less stand-alone episodes than SG1. I would not recommend watching Atlantis in haphazard fashion.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thanks for the tip. The problem I'd have is that the Sci-Fi Channel seems to show Atlantis far more often and regularly than SG1.

SG1 was the one with Magyver, right?
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:Thanks for the tip. The problem I'd have is that the Sci-Fi Channel seems to show Atlantis far more often and regularly than SG1.

SG1 was the one with Magyver, right?
Well basically the reason is because Atlantis is wrapping up its 4th season, and is the "new" show.

SG-1 has 10 seasons, which are now complete, and is thus on the air only in re-runs. The follow-up movie "Ark of Truth" (completing the big conflict storyline going on in seasons 9 and 10, kind of what we all wish we had after the last episode of DS9) is already out, and the second one "Continuum" I think? is presently in production.

So basically, Atlantis is the newer spinoff series which still has new episodes. SG-1 is done with its TV run and just follow-up movies are being made. Ideally you'd watch SG-1 first but it's not totally necessary, I would however watch Atlantis from season 1 forwards and also make liberal use of wikipedia or other sources because the show WILL presume you are at least roughly familiar with Ancient technology and certain big player races, from watching SG-1.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Homework to do to watch the show? I'll give up breathing, too. :lol:

I never saw the James Spader film, either. Should I watch that before anything else?
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:Homework to do to watch the show? I'll give up breathing, too. :lol:

I never saw the James Spader film, either. Should I watch that before anything else?
To be honest I didn't consider it hugely necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. I haven't rewatched the film ever but, just so you know, the same characters are involved (but they are portrayed by different actors) and the series basically begins one year after the events of the movie. So it might help orient you, but you wouldn't be up the creek without it.

Seriously, the show is pretty impressive once you get over the "it's stargate, guns vs. energy weapons lol" attitude about it that tends to float around. I think that the Atlantis pilot/premiere is long and relatively slow enough that you will be able to catch up on anything you don't know from watching SG-1. It's just worth pointing out that the beginning of Atlantis shoots straight out of the events of a cliffhanger in SG-1 (season 8 I believe?), which is why the team is there in the ice in the beginning. Just ask if you get lost, at any rate. ;)
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:Homework to do to watch the show? I'll give up breathing, too. :lol:

There are some changes from the movie to the tv show. The movie did not have the snake like Gould and in actuality, at the end you see the "face" of one and it looks more like the Roswell Greys than anything else.

It would not hurt to see the movie, but you have to go into it realizing that the tv show is NOT a 100% direct spinoff from the movie. Maybe only 75%.

I would also like to point out that the writers and directors KNOWINGLY ignored "cannon" in order to push the story. If you notice something that should not be right, if you switch to the commentary there is a darn good chance the writers/directors are talking about it.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I would also like to point out that the writers and directors KNOWINGLY ignored "cannon" in order to push the story. If you notice something that should not be right, if you switch to the commentary there is a darn good chance the writers/directors are talking about it.
That's usually pretty minor stuff though usually only occurring in just that episode. The only Inconsistency I've really thought was worth noting is that the Zats(the pistol-like weapons used primarily by the Jaffa) used to have a third shot. First shot: 'stuns' Second shot: kills Third shot: disintegrates. The third shot was retconned out, and even joked about during the 100th episode("Wormhole X-treme").

An example of when the bent cannon was an episode where SG-1 teams from other universes were travelling through the gate and coming to earth. There were other teams that dialed in but they only let teams under fire through which was always SG-1. Each one convinently wearing different uniforms. The inconsistency was that Carter said gate travel takes 0.3 seconds and was taking longer for these teams to come through, however it was previously established that gate travel takes 6 seconds
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
That's usually pretty minor stuff though usually only occurring in just that episode. The only Inconsistency I've really thought was worth noting is that the Zats(the pistol-like weapons used primarily by the Jaffa) used to have a third shot. First shot: 'stuns' Second shot: kills Third shot: disintegrates. The third shot was retconned out, and even joked about during the 100th episode("Wormhole X-treme").
I believe it went something like:
"... and the third shot disinegrates."
"No... that's just stupid!"

SG1 actually pokes fun at itsel A LOT in later seasons. They "hang a lantern" on a lot of things. When something old comes up they actually will say, the actors/characters on air, "Nice callback!" Or when someone bring up something impossible, but it happened 3 seasons ago, the characters will look at each other.

There are alos a lot of Simpsons and Wizard of Oz references.

They do not take themselves very seriously.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

They do not take themselves very seriously
Maybe that's why the show is more likable(IMO) then Star Trek. Star Trek characters all act uber-serious a lot. Except maybe for TOS. I love that this show is easy going but can still pull it off.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser.

I think it's important that the show not take itself too seriously - otherwise, it would inevitably be held up against 'Trek, which was the gold standard in super-self-importance.
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
They do not take themselves very seriously
Maybe that's why the show is more likable(IMO) then Star Trek. Star Trek characters all act uber-serious a lot. Except maybe for TOS. I love that this show is easy going but can still pull it off.
Yeah this was worked into the show on purpose as comedy. Just like how the alien Teal'c "loves" Star Wars and it was mentioned during one of the very Star Wars-esque episodes involving Anubis, or when they were trying to blow up an asteroid and O'Neill was like "hey I've seen that movie!" There's definitely a lot more humor interspersed throughout it than in Trek, and it is by design, not really because the show is a "joke" or doesn't take itself seriously when it comes to the plot.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In the line of humour, let's not forget Jack and Carter's exchange about the Prometheus:

Carter: "Sorry Sir, they didn't go for it."

O'Neill: "What? They cancelled the mission?"

Carter: "No, I mean the name."

O'Neill: "What's wrong with the name?"

Carter: "Sir, you can't call it the Enterprise."

And that episode where Jack and Teal'c keep going back to the start of the day was just hilarious. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I think one of my favorites is:

Bra'tac: I have come to warn you that Anubis is massing a fleet to attack in three days.

O'Neill: Three days?! That's a Thursday. Thursday is no good for us.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

[Ba'kal is sitting bound to a large tree stump, his feet tied and staked to the ground. Teal'c pokes at a campfire with a large stick until it glows with heat. He then applies it to Ba'kal's arm. Ba'kal comes to with a cry of agony. He notices his restraints.]
BA'KAL
(panting heavily)
Torture me all you want. I tell you nothing.
[He spits out blood.]
TEAL'C
(blandly)
Though you hide among humans, I know you are Jaffa. That is your symbiote lying on the ground in front of you.
[Ba'kal looks down to see a dead Goa'uld symbiote by his feet. He glances down at his abdomen.]
BA'KAL
(almost rapturously)
I serve the Ori. When I die, I will ascend and join them in everlasting glory.
TEAL'C
That is untrue.
BA'KAL
You will not convince me otherwise.
TEAL'C
That is most unfortunate.
(holds up vial of tretonin blithely)
I have medicine that would save your life should you tell me what I wish to know.
BA'KAL
Never!
TEAL'C
Then there are some things that you should know. The Ori do not ascend their followers. Arkad is a coward who will die by my hand. Also, I have implanted an explosive device within your symbiote pouch. It is set to detonate within a matter of moments. It is the same explosive that you used to kill twelve warriors, eighteen innocent bystanders, and two children who had gathered for a peaceful summit.
[Ba'kal struggles against his bonds a bit.]
BA'KAL
(with conviction)
They were sinners all, who chose the path of evil.
[Teal'c begins to walk away.]
TEAL'C
Hmph. Ten seconds.
BA'KAL
Where are you going?
TEAL'C
(calmly)
I am leaving. You are about to explode.
[Ba'kal struggles with his bonds. He screams just before he explodes into a small fireball. Teal'c continues walking without looking back.]
Mosy badass scene in SG-1 ever.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.